Chapter 13 - Difficult Relations

Behind me was a set of unique beauties, their orange hair resembled lava as it made its way down their shoulders. The only thing differentiating them was the color of their accessories. 
"Greetings, Lady Vanidestine," the gingers curtsied.
"Greetings, Ladies of Frigard," I curtsied back.
"You can call us by our names, Lady Vanidestine, otherwise it gets quite confusing," it was Lady Daisy that spoke, she bore a blue hairpiece.
"I understand, please refer to me by my first name as well, Lady Daisy, Lady Violet."
"What brings you here?" Lady Violet asked, she wore purple earrings.
"Taking a stroll, how about the two of you?"
"Us too, is it not nice that we are permitted to grow our own gardens?" Lady Violet responded.
"Indeed, do you have plans to grow any flowers?" I asked.
"I have no interest in flowers," Lady Daisy responded.
"Neither do I, however I might grow some herbs," Lady Violet hummed.
"That sounds exciting, best of luck if you do proceed," I smiled respectfully.
"Thank you, Lady Elizabeth. Shall we head back now? I do believe it is about time that they announce which class we are in," Lady Violet asked.

The reception desk was surrounded by the chatter of students, they were eagerly awaiting the receptionist's return. The hall quieted down as he came with a paper which he nailed stuck on a cork board. The chatter started once again as they had read through the class lists and made way for the others. As the class list got into sight I quickly scanned through it, I felt a chill run down my spine as I scanned through it over and over. I reluctantly scanned through the other class lists. Ridiculous, how come Lord William and I are in different classes? A few lines above his name was hers, Florence Rosenkrantz, for some unknown reason this was more upsetting than not being in his class. Is it because of the way she looked at him? The fact that he did not even utter the words 'we are engaged'. The cherry on top of the cake was that I did not share class with anyone I knew, just a whole bunch of corrupt nobles' children. I could not share the joyful eyes of the other students, once more I was the odd one out, the one who was left to fend for herself. The realization of having to spend the next four years in a class where I will possibly be harassed made it feel as if my gut was tied in a knot.
"Lady Vanidestine," Emma calling out for me brought me back to reality, "there is a letter and a package for you."
"Perfect." I hurried away, this was the perfect distraction.
On my way out Lord William and I met eyes, I scowled as I saw Lady Rosenkrantz chatting away happily next to him. Lady Henrietta, who was on Lady Rozenkrantz' other side, looked exhausted.

On my desk laid a package and a couple of envelopes, one which carried the imperial seal. I carefully opened it, inside was a letter which read,

Greetings,
Lady Elizabeth Vanidestine

How do you do? I heard you entered the academy, best of luck! The academy will add on to your already abundant amount of knowledge. I believe you will greatly contribute to the Watson Dukedom and in turn to the kingdom.

I have received your gift and I must say it was nothing which I had expected. Brother showed me how to use it and when I tell you I wept for an hour you would surely laugh at me, however it is true! It was truly an amazing gift. Is there any way you could give me the materials to recreate it? I have many more memories I want to store since the human mind is unreliable.

Sincerely,
Princess Charlotte Eirik

Anne had already prepared everything needed to write a reply, and so I quickly wrote a few letters. One for the blacksmith, one for the painter, and of course one for Her Highness. The next envelope on my desk was placed on top of a package. As I opened the envelope I got chills as I saw the all too familiar marigold imprinted paper. Could it be Father? No, he has no reason to send me a letter. Mother? It is most likely that she would want me to get along with some of her friends' daughters. I took a deep breath before I took it out of the envelope.

Dearest sister of mine,

It has come to my attention that you have started the first year of your academic pursuits. That means you are temporarily granted freedom, surely you will find out how great it is. However, do not be fooled and remember to behave properly once the holidays come around. I have given you some of my old notes from my first and second year, I hope they are of use.

Your brother,
Oscar Vanidestine

I opened the package, and just as told it was filled with notebooks. How silly. The act of kindness from Oscar resulted in a wave of sadness washing over me. This dangerous act of kindness, one which can result in the punishment of the both of us, just to help me reach the unreal expectations they put on us. Hopefully we can spend more time together as siblings here. Abrupt knocking pulled me back to reality. Anne headed for the door but I stopped her.
"Take the letters to the blacksmith and the painter, I will see who is outside the door."
"Yes, my Lady," she responded and went back to the desk.
On the other side of the door stood Lord William.
"Lady Eliza, where did you go?" He bore a worried expression as he leaned in to embrace me. I quickly stepped back.