Chapter 9 - The View Outside

I turned around to see Lady Henrietta hurrying to me, she held me close.
"Are you okay? That must have been frightening," she said as she let go and looked me in the eyes.
"Of course." I gave her a faint smile.
"Lady Elizabeth," Lord William said carefully.
"Yes?"
"May I have this dance?" He reached out his hand to me and bowed.
"Oh," I said a little stunned, "of course."
Lord William carefully led me to the dance floor. His hand was placed on my hip, and mine was placed on his shoulder as we moved with the music. 
"You know," I looked into his deep brown eyes, "I usually never dance."
"That makes me feel special, I am honored to have your first dance in a long time." He smiled warmly.
"You are special since you are my fiancé," I added with a smile to which his face grew the color of the sunset. "And now you resemble the view outside, dear."
He lost his footing a bit however I quickly saved him with a slight giggle. He is ever so cute to tease. Like that we continued to dance, willingly ignoring the argument with His Highness, it was better like that. 

After a few dances Lord William spoke again.
"Do you want to take a break?" he asked and stroked my hand with his thumb.
"That would be nice." I smiled in return.
He led me to a bench near the quieter part of the banquet hall and fetched some drinks from a butler as we passed by. As we sat down he handed one to me. We sat in silence for a while, sipping our drinks, as Lord William fumbled with my free hand.
"You seem anxious, Lord William," I broke the silence.
"Uhm, well…" He looked off to the distance. I followed his gaze and met the thrones. "Why did… he say that."
"His Highness? What did he say?" I asked.
"He," Lord William gulped and sounded the rest with a weak voice, "told you to come visit the palace more often… why did you visit?"
"I visited to receive help with Her Highness' birthday gift," I answered and held his hand.
"Why would you need his help?" Lord William pouted and looked down at my hands.
"I was creating a sort of artwork so the artist needed a real life reference."
"Sister," a familiar voice called out.
I looked up and met similar obsidian eyes to mine look at Lord William and I with a hint of shock.
"Yes, Brother?"
"Mother suggests we leave before Father shames our family further," he sighed and pointed at a group of men. 
Among them was our father, a pink hue was painted across his face and a tie was tied around his head. The group laughed loudly as one of them groped a maid carrying plates. How revolting. I was filled with disgust as I watched their shameful display.
"Indeed, it is best we go." I frowned and then turned around to curtsey to Lord William, "it was a pleasure to dance and talk with you. Until next time, Lord William."

The night breeze felt cool on my skin as I walked to the stables. I had offered to get a carriage as I would rather not get humiliated by my Father and his friends. Mother may not mind it but I would rather not have their slimy hands touch me. I shuddered at the thought. 
"Lady Elizabeth?" A familiar voice called out. I turned around to lock eyes with two emerald orbs. 
"Greetings, Your Highness." I curtsied.
"How come you're out here and not with your beloved?" He asked and walked with me.
"Father has had too much to drink so we are heading home," I sighed, "I am on my way to arrange a carriage."
"I see," he said as if he was pondering something.
"If I may inquire, why is His Highness out here?"
"What if we got married?" 
"Excuse me?"
"You seem like a brilliant lady and I know you despise the system right now. You would be a wonderful pawn." He grinned.
"A pawn?" 
"Why yes, the best of its kind!"
"Surely I would be the queen then," I joked. "However, I must decline Your Highness for I am engaged to Lord William, who, unless you forgot, is a contender to the throne."
"What a shame."
As we turned a corner we were met by the stables, the large white building carried a scent of dung and hay.
"Stable boy," His Highness called out and a mere seconds later a boy came running.
"This stable boy greets His Highness." He bowed abruptly.
"Will you arrange a carriage for the young Lady Vanidestine here?"
"Of course!" he said and scrambled away.
"I could arrange a carriage by myself, Your Highness." 
"Consider it a token of apology for my tasteless joke," he said and walked his way.

Mother and the driver tried to push Father onto the carriage, however at this point he was so drunk that he had a hard time walking. Getting in a carriage seemed like an impossible feat. Minutes passed and they finally got him in, and so we drove home.