Chapter 19 - We Need to Talk

After the tea party fiasco the weekend went by rather quickly. Oscar and I arranged for a study session together, it was one of the first times we spent time bonding like that. It was surprisingly pleasant. And now I sat there, in the cafeteria with Lord William like usual, only he was fidgety like there was something he wished to say.
"You have some food on your face, Lord William," I said and cleaned it off his face.
"Ah- thank you." He said calmly.
The sound of cutlery and others' idle chatter filled the silence as we continued to dine.
"Listen, Lady Elizabeth, I think we need to talk," he started carefully.
"I am listening."
"What you did to Lady Flora was a bit cruel." He looked at me carefully, as if he was afraid to hurt my feelings.
"It is such a fitting nickname, is it not?" I scoffed.
"Lady Elizabeth." He looked at me sternly.
"Yes, dear?" My words made his harsh face waver, however his composure was quickly regained.
"Joachim," I turned my attention to the attendant next to me, "do you believe that I was in the wrong?"
He appeared to be in a thought for a moment before shaking his head.
"So, what is the problem, dear?" I turned my attention to Lord William once more.
"Your words hurt her. Not everyone is accustomed to the harsh reality that is high society."
"My, what about me then? There are rumors lurking at school, rumors that say you have completely discarded me. You care not for my feelings?" my voice rang louder than I had wished... however I could not help but feel offended when he disregarded how I felt. "I have been through their mockery over and over again because I look like this. However the one time... the. One. Time. I lash out I am treated like the villain?!"
I bit down hard on my lips. Compose yourself.
"Lady Elizabeth-" I interrupted him by pushing my dish aside.
"My appetite has gone sour, I bid thee farewell." And with that I got up and returned to my classroom.

Lady Amber was already sitting at our desk when I entered.
"How was lunch, Lady Elizabeth?" She asked and looked up from her notes.
"Not as pleasant as I would have hoped," I sighed, "did you manage to have an enjoyable lunch?"
"Yes, I overlooked my notes as I ate, quite fulfilling. Do you want to talk about your unpleasant lunch?"
Do I? What will she think of me?
"Hmm... I suppose the easiest way to explain it would be that I got scolded."
"About what happened to Lady Flora?"
"I- how did you know?
"I heard the ladies gossip about it, but do you care to elaborate?" She asked kindly.
"I suppose..." I sighed, "Lord William and Lady Flora are in the same class, she seems head over heels over him and he has yet to explain that I'm his fiancée. Hence my lashing out."
"I see," she said and appeared deep in thought. "I don't think you're in the wrong. I would've also acted that way."
"I... thank you." I smiled shyly.
Classes resumed as usual, since no matter what happened to me the world would keep on going. Maybe that is what hurts the most...

"Lady Vanidestine," the professor called out.
"Yes, Professor Clementine?"
"Could you help me carry some materials to the lounge?"
"Of course, Professor." I picked up a stack of papers and books off the table.
Joachim waited for me when we left the classroom.
"Hello, Joachim. I am going to help Professor Clementine carry some material"
Without a second thought he took the stack of books from me.
"Thank you." I smiled.
Other students were littered about in the hallway, a couple of them greeted Professor Clementine but regarded me with cold eyes.
"How are you enjoying school life, Lady Vanidestine?" He asked after we turned the corner to a quieter hallway.
"It is rather pleasant, I got to socialize with ladies that I would not have had the opportunity to." I smiled.
"Indeed, it is refreshing to see my students socialize with others of different families," he said as he opened the door to the lounge. "Would you put that on my desk?"
"Of course."
"Thank you for the help, Lady Vanidestine." He smiled as he put down the stack of books he was holding. "I hope I did not keep you too long, keep up your studies. You're a bright student."
"Thank you. I shall go now, see you tomorrow."
"Yes, good luck studying."

The echoing of Joachim and my footsteps cut through the eerily silent hallway. The chatter of students had long since died out, or maybe we were lost? It was hard to know, the hallways all shared the pale yellow tapestry.
"I do believe I am lost," I sighed and turned to Joachim.
There was a slight smile on his face.
"Do you find this amusing?"
He shrugged in response and started leading the way out.

A few footsteps could be heard in the distance, they were approaching rather rapidly. How odd, not many students linger in the academy building once classes are over. Perhaps they are also lost? As we turned a corner Joachim bumped into someone twice his width. The man, who bore the student uniform, shot Joachim a fiery glare then turned his attention to me, his silver hair was a greasy mess. As soon as his sky blue eyes met mine a mischievous grin worked its way up his harsh face.
"My, if it isn't Lady Vanidestine, I was just looking for you." His voice was low and resembled a growl as he spoke.
Do I know him? He looks... familiar. Long silver locks and teary blue eyes echoed in my mind. Right, Lord Rozenkrantz, rumored to be the strongest student in his class, and that pesky lady's older brother.
"Greetings, Lord Rozenkrantz. For what purpose would you be seeking me out? It is a rather far walk from the knights' academy building."
"Let's have a chat you and I."
"My apologies, I do not have time for that at the moment."
"It wasn't a request," he said and yanked me by the arm.
"Unhand me this second!"
Joachim threw his body into Lord Rozenkrantz' knocking him off balance.
"You little rat!"
A swift kick to Joachim's stomach left him on the ground gasping for air.
"Joachim!" I hurried to get to him, however Lord Rozenkrantz' firm grip on my arm easily stopped me.
"Let's talk, now."
"Unhand me! Right this second!" I yelled as he twisted both my arms behind my back as if I were some sort of thief.