Chapter 28 - Long Time No See

After the long session of preparations I felt lively again, albeit a bit nervous. I was trembling slightly as I headed down the stairs. In the entrance stood Lady Henrietta, Lady Violet and Lady Daisy. These maids. I glanced at Mother’s maids following behind me. If it were not for them then I would have run up and hugged my friends. Instead I walked down the stairs appearing calm and composed as maids helped my guests take off their snow covered coats.
"Long time no see, Lady Henrietta, Lady Violet and Lady Daisy."
"Indeed, it has been far too long," Lady Violet said and curtised.
"Far too long," 
Both Lady Henrietta and Lady Daisy had glossy eyes, it left a feeling of warmth spreading through my chest. Alas. Lady Henrietta glanced at the maids and then met my eyes, I gave her a sad smile in return. As she had frequently visited me she knew something was off. Someone of my standing was expected to have at least this many servants accompanying them. The Marchioness had not considered it when I was younger since she assumed Lady Henrietta would not be smart enough to pick up on it. Unfortunately for her Lady Henrietta was as well versed in etiquette as I, if not more. Lady Daisy and Lady Violet remained still just like Lady Henrietta. They may not have visited me earlier, however they are very good at reading the room.
"Shall we go?" I asked.
"My lady, we have prepared your room." A maid informed.
My room, huh? Brings back memories of a certain Saturday. 

A tray of snacks had already been prepared, tea cups were evenly placed and the cat-like maid came in with a steaming tea pot. As we sat down she poured us some of the tea.
"Thank you, that will be all," I said and brought the teacup to my face.
She looked shocked at this remark and was about to open her mouth when the older maid intervened.
"Of course, my lady." She curtsied politely. 
Realization hit the cat-like maid and she curtised as well. Of course you can not say if the 'young lady' of the house says so. She has guests to entertain, and you, a reputation to uphold. I idly sipped the tea as I waited for them to close the door behind them. 
"Warmth is always appreciated in cold periods as long as this." I smiled and put the cup down, fighting to keep myself calm.
Lady Henrietta, who sat next to me, leaned in for a tight embrace. Lady Daisy promptly joined as well. The warmth became suffocating, a flurry of thoughts and images flashed through my head. Ah, I can not… Before I knew it I let out the waterworks and sobbed loudly.
"No… if you cry... I am going to cry," Lady Daisy sobbed into my shoulder.
Her tears dampened my skin and soon after Lady Henrietta was crying as well.
"Really, you are such children." Despite Lady Violet's remark her voice was shaky as if she herself was about to join in.

It took a while for Lady Henrietta and Lady Daisy to calm themselves and finally pull away. Lady Henrietta stroked my back in slow circles waiting for me to calm down too. With a deep breath the sorrow had disappeared, like nothing even happened in the first place. After a brief moment of silence Lady Henrietta opened her mouth,
"We were worried about you." Her voice was still thick with sorrow.
"I could tell," I giggled.
"What happened? The Lady Elizabeth I know would not push a lady down the stairs out of jealousy," Lady Violet said with a stern look on her face.
"Lady Flora snuck up on me, the fright made me push her away. Luckily Lord William was there to prevent any damage." The lie escaped my lips easily. Maybe it would have been better if he was not there.
"What was she doing sneaking up on you, anyway?" Lady Violet scoffed.
"Seriously, she gets so close to everyone without considering their feelings." Lady Henrietta huffed.
"Close?"
"She has been running around and trying to get close to everyone."
"Almost like she is trying to get people on her side," Lady Violet added.
"Indeed, she even tried to get close to us. No way it would work, of course. That homewrecker can not turn us against you."
Lady Henrietta's made it feel like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.
"Ladies…" I started and glanced at Anne.
She gave me a reassuring nod. With a deep breath I tried to still my shaking hands.
"I might know why Lady Flora-"
The door suddenly opened to reveal straightened black locks pulled into a tight bun. Her sharp obsidian eyes cut through me like a hot knife. Did she... hear? Will she ask about what I was about to say? With a bolt I stood up and curtsied.
"Greetings, Marchioness."