Chapter 15 - First Name Basis

I stretched and closed my notebook as it was time for lunch. I looked at the lady next to me and she was reading over her notes again.
“Sorry,” she said as she closed her notebook, “it is a pleasure to meet you. The name’s Amber, I came here from The Republic of Obatala to study.”
“I’m Elizabeth Vanidestine, daughter of Marquis Vanidestine. You may refer to me by Lady Elizabeth.” I curtsied. “That was quite the show this morning.” I gave a faint chuckle.
“Indeed. I am surprised though, I heard that The Kingdom of Vera is really accepting of people of color.”
“Well, not the aristocrats… not most of them at least," I sighed.
“That gets better with time I suppose. But I am surprised that women get to go attend this academy.”
“Indeed, it is quite different from the rest of the world. I assume it’s because Vera founded the kingdom, of course there are still as many sexists as there are racists. That, however, is primarily because different cultures and traditions have intertwined."
“Interesting take, I don’t know too much about the history of The Kingdom of Vera so is it alright if I ask you for help?”
“Of course, it would be my pleasure." I glanced at the clock. "I have to bid you farewell now, I have lunch plans, however I will see you after?"
"Of course. Enjoy your meal, it was a pleasure meeting you."
"The pleasure is all mine, Lady Amber." I curtsied and left the classroom.
I headed towards Lord William's classroom. Once I arrived I saw him inside chatting with Lady Rozenkrantz. I tried not to think too much of it and simply waited outside. It would be rude to interrupt. 

Minutes passed and I saw the students around the classroom decrease. When will he be done? 

Still… waiting. I could hear her laugh. The thought of them enjoying their chat made it feel like I was growing smaller, it felt as if I was weak and insignificant. I lifted my head upward as I felt the stinging in my eyes threatening me. Do not shed tears. I took a deep breath as I thought about the hard work Anne put into my make up and how it would be smudged, how I would be a laughing stock if anyone saw. 

"Lady Eliza," Lord William softly called out.
"Oh, sorry. I must have zoned out," I said as I realized he was suddenly standing in front of me. "Shall we go?"
"Yes, sorry for taking so long," he apologized.
"It is quite all right," I said.
He grabbed my hand and led me to the dining hall.

The dining hall was more like a restaurant, there were waiters and waitresses ready to take our orders.
"So, what took you so long?" I asked as we waited for our food.
"I had to help Lady Florence with something," he answered.
"I did not expect that you would take her up on her offer," I pointed out.
"Well, she asked for help so I-"
"That is not what I meant," I interrupted him, "you are referring to her by her first name."
"Well, she insisted…"
"Noble ladies love to gossip and therefore exaggerate things."
"Lady Florence is not like that, plus she insisted, it would be rude not to take her up on her offer."
"She might not exaggerate but others surely will." 
I stood up and leaned forward, my hand supported me on the table. My free arm reached out for Lord William's chin and I raised his face to force him to look at me.
"William," I said coldly to his red face, "you have already fallen in love at first sight once, what makes you so sure that it will not occur again?"
He stared at me in silence.
"Do understand where I am coming from," I sighed.
I do not want to act to harshly, after all he does not bear such intentions. He promptly grabbed the hand holding him and guided it to his cheek.