Chapter 22 - Take Flight

I shot straight out of bed, a cold sweat clung onto my body. I barely contained the scream that had built up inside of me. What was that? Never before had I experienced something so vivid. I need a breath of fresh air. I opened the balcony door and leaned against it’s frame, the air was chilly and rain continued to pour. The lights in the rooms next to mine were turned off, the only sound besides the rain was the ticking of my grandfather clock. And what was that door? It feels vaguely familiar, however I do not think I have seen it before. Alas, there is no use dwelling on the matter this late at night.
Tick,
Tock,
Tick,
Tock,
For hours I tossed and turned because no matter how hard I tried to not think about the nightmare it kept popping up. Whenever I managed to fall asleep different nightmares haunted me– vastly different nightmares. Despite their differences they always ended the same, with me in that mansion in front of that door. Many of them included that… monster. And everytime it one way or the other caught up to me, its warm hands enclosing on my body and its horrid jaw whispering the unintelligible. That night was, like many that would follow it, sleepless and before I knew it a light knock was heard and my door was carefully opened.
“My! My lady, what are you doing up so early? And you look like you have not slept a wink!”
“Sleep seems to have eluded me, could you draw up a bath?” I sighed as I sat up straight.
“Of course, just a moment.”
The sound of running water alongside Anne’s tranquil humming could be heard from the bathroom. With slow and heavy footsteps I joined her as she was preparing some soaps and hair products. As always, yellow, orange and red petals danced on the water’s surface. I idly dipped my hand in it only to be reminded of-
The warm liquid on my back-
His calloused hands-
I recoiled at the warmth, shaking as that evening resurfaced once more.
“Change the water, I want to take a cold bath,” I said abruptly before heading out of the bathroom.
I paced through my dorm. Do not think. Do not think. Do not think. I was so swept up in this thought that I did not notice Anne calling for me until she lightly tapped my shoulder.
“My lady, your bath is ready.”
As I had requested, the water was now cold, not a biting cold however, it was surprisingly bearable. Anne gently massaged my scalp as she shampooed it, my eyes stung and just for a while I thought I would close them. My eyelids which felt ten times as heavy drooped as my body slowly began to sink

..
.
The door. I shot straight out of the water.
“Is everything alright, my lady?” Anne sounded worried.
“I- yes. I shall wash my own hair from now on.” I do not wish for that to happen again.

The academy halls were as full as always, however today their chatter was more imposing. The way they quieted down as soon as they saw me and the mumbles and sneers that followed made me fidgety. What if they know? What if he told all of them? I was quickly interrupted by a cheerful greeting.
“Good morning, Lady Elizabeth!” My tired eyes met a pair of energetic brown ones, “What the- Lady Eliza you look like you haven’t slept a wink!”
“That would be because I have not slept a wink. Anyhow, you seem rather cheerful today, Lady Amber.”
“Yes! I got a letter from back home and I have a gift for you.”
It was not until then that I realized that she held a small floral pouch. She handed it to me before she sat down.
“This was unexpected but thank you,” I gave her a gentle smile. It had been a while since I last received a gift that was sincere.
I opened the pouch, inside lay several tiny beads in different shapes and colors.
“What uh… what is it?” I looked at Amber with a puzzled look.
“They are for your hair, they weigh them down but look really good if you braid it. One of your parents probably knows how to properly braid your hair.”
My parents, huh. Our conversation was cut short by the professor entering the classroom.

The day passed a lot slower than usual, most likely due to my lack of sleep. Everything felt so off in a way, my head felt hazy and my eyes were killing me. However, I got a burst of energy once lunch approached. The sudden liveliness seemed to tone down the walk of shame to a manageable level, as if that was an everyday occurrence which I had grown used to. It is a shame that we are on different floors. The moment I was about to head downstairs to his floor someone tapped my shoulder. My eyes met silver locks… silver locks. They leaned far too close for comfort and I– without a second to think about my actions– pushed them with all my might. That was… surprisingly light? In my horror I saw Lady Flora falling down the stairs. I-. I covered my mouth as I watched her frail body flailing in the air. As she was about to hit the ground her body got knocked into a broad chest. 
“Lady Flora! Are you okay?” Lord William’s voice cut through the chatter that I had not realized started bubbling around me.
His warm brown eyes showed no sign of remorse as he shot a glance up, for a moment shock was painted across his face before his mouth drew a sharp line and his eyes went steely cold. 
“Lady Elizabeth Vanidestine! What do you think you are doing? Pushing a frail lady such as Lady Flora down the stairs?” His words cut deeply into my heart.
“I- I can explain myself.” I tried not to lose my composure, however, everyone’s hungry gazes made me feel smaller than ever before. And Lord William… I had never seen him like that.
“Well?”
“It… was an accident.” I clenched my skirt. It is no lie… I did not think it was her. “I mistook her for someone else.”
“Someone else? And who would that be,” by the low rumble of his voice he did not trust me in the slightest.
“I thought it was… you see… I-” Images of that night flashed through my head, the rain, the darkness, his warmth. If I say something now will he believe me? Will they mock me for what the Lord did to me? 
“Out with it!” His raised voice made me flinch. However I could not answer, I could not say who I thought she was, I could not utter a word of what he had done. 
I glanced at Lady Flora, her blue eyes met mine and an amused smirk made its way across her face. She knows! She knows what he did! Of course… it all makes perfect sense– that homewrecker! My blood started boiling, my teeth were clenched and a sharp pain blossomed in my palms. 
“This is ridiculous, Lady Elizabeth. You push Lady Flora down the stairs out of jealousy and call it an accident?” 
“It was an accident,” I spat.
“Did not look like an accident,” a student chimed in.
What?!
“Indeed, as soon as Lady Eliza laid her eyes on Lady Rozenkrantz she pushed her down the stairs! It was truly a terrifying sight,” a head of long brown locks of hair said. 
You sly fox! I should have known you were brewing trouble as soon as you started talking to her… Honorable Mielle Lockens!