Chapter 7 - Preparations

I was met with a crowded street as Lord William helped me off the carriage. It is silly, the very face that made me want to throw up a month ago is now, along with his niece, one of my strongest pillars of support.
"So where did you want to go, Lady Henrietta?" Lord William asked once we had all gotten off the carriage.
"There is a bookstore nearby that I would like to visit, afterwards we can stroll the town and get something to eat," Lady Henrietta said, ever since we started to spend more time together she had grown less wary of me and her stuttering had almost completely stopped.
"Lead the way then," Lord William said.
As we were walking behind Lady Henrietta I felt Lord William's arm poke mine, I looked at him to find him discreetly asking me to wrap my arm around his. I slid my arm so my hand would fit in the crevice of his arm to which he blushed and looked away. How cute. I thought and grinned. As we walked around I looked at the store displays, a shop selling stuffed animals caught my attention and I stopped for a brief second as I gazed upon a few round cat-like stuffed animals.

Lady Henrietta opened a door, above it hung a sign which read Mikael's. The store was dimly lit by candles that had a light flower fragrance. I let go of Lord William so that I could follow closely behind Lady Henrietta between the tightly placed bookshelves. The serious look on her face as she looked at the titles of the books was amusing. She pulled one out and gave it to me.
"I think you would like this," she said seriously. I love how serious you get about books. I smiled at her and took the book with a dull green cover, engraved in it was the title Collapse.
"What is it about?" I asked.
"It's about a smaller goddess who is stuck reincarnating in the same world which is on the brink of destruction. It is really exciting to see how she tries to get out," although her tone was hushed it failed to hide her excitement.
"I shall buy it then, thank you." However to my surprise a familiar set of hands took the book from me.
"I'll buy it for you." Lord William smiled.
"Oh no, there is no need to, I have brought money with me so-" He put his finger against my lip.
"I want to buy it for you." He looked at me somewhat sternly.
"Oh, okay," I said somewhat dazed at his bold displays.

The daylight blinded me as we left the dimly lit bookstore.
"Shall we get something to eat now?" I asked.
"Sure, I know of a good place around here," Lady Henrietta responded.

"The princess' birthday banquet is coming up..." I subtly said to start a conversation.
"Isn't it going to be her last?" Lord William asked as he cut a slice of cake with his fork.
"Sadly, have you prepared a fitting farewell gift?" I asked.
"Of course, I am just afraid that she may not like it..." Lady Henrietta said, worried.
"I am sure she will, she is gentle and understanding," Lord William reassured.
"Indeed, I have met her a few times recently," I said.
"You visited the imperial palace recently? Why?" Lord William asked.
"That is a secret. However it was entertaining to find out how different the crown prince is from the rumours," I smirked.

Lord William helped me off the carriage yet again, this time however I was greeted by the Vanidestine mansion.
"Thank you for buying me the book that Lady Henrietta recommended," I said with a slight smile.
"No problem, and uhm..." His face got a bit red and he looked to the side.
"Yes?"
He did not say anything, instead he shoved something in my arms and boarded the carriage. In my embrace rested one of those cat-like stuffed animals. As the carriage started leaving our eyes met and I waved to him with a slight smile on my face.