Chapter 26 - My Beacons

I could hear Anne’s faint voice calling out to someone, with each word it grew louder– her desperation rang clear through my foggy mind. Ah, she is calling for a doctor I presume. Alas, it is no use since the Marchioness will not allow it. My poor Anne… With whatever strength I had left my hand searched the direction her voice came from. With the hopeless state my fingers were in I had no choice but to try and drag the hem of her skirt by using my palm. It weakly dragged against the silky fabric, her voice immediately stopped and her hand closed around mine. She brought it up to a wet skin like texture, warm liquid rolled down my fingers. It is Anne, I am awake, it is just Anne. I repeated in my mind to calm the panic rising in me. 

My bedridden days passed in a blur, Anne was constantly moving in and out of the room. Each visit she held something different, a tray of meals and drinks, books to read aloud, pen and paper, medicine. Never a doctor though, she did not permit a doctor to see me after the state she left me in– I had to seem like the perfect daughter after all. 
"My lady," Anne chimed one day.
"Yes?" I looked up from the notebook in my hands, trying to make sense of his notes.
"A letter from Emma has arrived."
"From Emma?" 
Oh, could it be that? 
"Would you read it for me?"
She carefully opened the simple envelope, the letter inside looked harsh and carried a few blemishes.
"Greetings, Lady Elizabeth Vanidestine," Anne started,
"How do you do? Joachim and I were quite shocked when we heard of the suspension. As a token of apology I was assigned to that fiend and after some observation I do not think you are at fault. The conversations she has with Honorable Mielle Lockens at tea time points at your innocence. Honorable Mielle Lockens is quite the schemer and seemed really proud to get you suspended,
"But enough about that, I will tell you more about it once you return. I have some good news! Remember when you asked me about the keychain? My mother replied and her instructions as well as some designs are in this envelope. I hope you like them!
"Sincerely, Emma… P.S. I added some of my own designs."

I could not help but smile at the post script. The news of Mielle and Lady Flora conspiring, albeit a bit concerning, was not surprising. Mielle was a scheming lady and now that Lady Flora was in her midst it was only natural. Dwelling on the matter will do no good, shall I take a look at the designs? Anne had already placed the rest of the papers in my lap. To my left was a list of instructions. The handwriting was somewhat neat and the instructions were clear. The sketches that followed were simple and also carried instructions, although they were much shorter. So those were the basics? They were refined and cute, they depicted apples, hearts and stars. Somewhat childish but cute nonetheless. The last paper was a sloppier design depicting a bear. I slightly squinted my eyes to make out the messy handwriting.

Here is a challenge for you, Lady Vanidestine. Put your knowledge to the test and make this cutie!

A faint smile creeped its way across my face. Your personality is shining through. 

The first time I tried this new craft my fingers ached terribly, I was still unable to move them properly. It was not until a few weeks later that I could pick it up again. However, alongside this I had a lot of catching up to do when it came to my studies. Sadly, there was no choice but to do it. Oscar's notes tremendously helped me get a grasp on the subjects, and with the help of some books in our library I was confident in my abilities. Once in a while a servant from the academy would visit to hand me some school material as well as watch me when I did their exams. My new hobby helped me escape how listless and boring it was, I could easily see my improvement which urged me to get better. I am so grateful to have these wonderful people on my side. On the other hand, I had not received any letters from Lord William. It already pained me to have my last interaction with him be that burning gaze. Whenever my mind wandered it was always to him– how was he? Who accompanied him to lunch in my stead? How is his studying going? And is he with… her? Occasionally I would receive letters from Emma, she detailed Mielle and Lady Flora's movements. But most importantly, she always added a note about Lord William. For the most part it was well, however sometimes, they would describe him getting closer to her. My heart ached for I knew every second I spent in this house of nightmares was a second given to Lady Flora.