Prologue

The Fall

--------------------------------------

Year 20XX

It starts with a thought.

Dangerous thing, that is. To think. Not knowing where it will lead you, it being sometimes good, sometimes bad. Sometimes confusing, sometimes clear.

It comes to be an option with a voice.

Not as dangerous, but terrifying none the less. It leads to the thought What if...?, and the cycle begins.

It commences with action.

This cycle of things are continuous, seemingly harmless, but can be far from it. This cycle is what led you to the foot of Mt. Ebott, thinking to yourself, "What if?"........................................................

Y/N PoV

Flashes of blue light fill my dreams, muffled yelling off in the distance and dust floating down like snow. By now, I was used to having this dream, having it plague my mind for years on end. But, oddly enough, something else caught my attention. A dark figure shadowed in the distance, but dust blocked my vision of seeing their face. They turn around slowly, and upon seeing me, start sprinting full force. I tried to run, but my legs stood frozen in place. I look down to see my bare feet in the snow, slowly turning black from frostbite. I turn back up to see the figure is gone. I search around in the storm, looking for the tall shadow, but finding it useless to do so. Nothing could be seen in the blizzard. I started to black out, glad that it was almost over, but not before hearing a voice scream out to me.

"You have to lea-!"

I shot awake in a cold sweat, feeling the sensation of it going down my spine. That dream was vivid... way too vivid for my liking.

What the hell...? I shivered, and took notice that I had somehow managed to kick off my blanket to the carpeted floor. I sigh, closing my eyes for a second, and then look to my left for my alarm clock.

2:07 p.m. ... shizzle shticks.

I'm late for work. Again. Shoving the images of the recent dream to the back of my thoughts, I slowly stretch and hear the satisfying pops in my bones before swinging my legs over to the side of the bed and stand up, padding over the abandoned covers. I bent down and picked up the blanket before tossing the thing on the bed, not bothering to make it up. I make my way over to the walk in closet, and a quick glance around was a reminder that the place I called a bedroom was almost bare of anything, the dim lime green walls empty with just a single window showing a cliche brick wall, and an abandoned picture frame that held the memory of my ex was on top of a nightstand that an old friend had made with me.

I paused my movements, staring at the picture, and took note of how happy we both looked. The sun glaring on our heads with the ocean waves crashing in the background... Almost feeling the sand in between my toes.... I shook my head to dismiss the unpleasant feeling in my stomach and go back to my original task, to look for some decent clothing.

I look over the piles of clothes in the closet and pick up a jacket and slip it over the "You mess with me and I'll divide you by zero" shirt, grinning slightly at the joke. I grab a pair of pants, put them on along with black shoes and kick the door closed. Heading back over to the bed, I sat down with a cringe worthy squeeeeek. Pulling out a comb from my nightstand, I fixed my hair trying to at least make it look presentable. I tugged the charger off my phone, noticing that no one had texted me besides my boss. Cold sweat began to bead down my back, ignoring it however, I clicked onto the dreaded message.