Chapter 12

Science and Fishy Tales

(Part Two)

__________________________

Hand in hand, Gaster led you through the dark cave once again. Looking around, you noticed some mushrooms that were growing out of the ground. They were in clusters, and were very dim in the light they emitted. An urge came out to touch the said mushrooms, but you ignored it and continued with the skeleton.

You both trotted along the path until eventually you both reached the end of the cave. As you got closer to the exit, you heard the faint roar of water falling. Light poured out of the opening as Gaster and yourself came out. Two giant waterfalls poured over a cliff to your right, and bridges were set in front of each.

You felt a small tug on your arm and saw that Gaster was still holding your hand while walking across the wooden platforms. Heat crawled up your cheeks as you saw that he didn't seem to notice.

It feels nice... It's been so long since someone has held my hand like this.

With cheeks still pleasantly warm, you followed his footsteps across the waters. You made sure not to accidentally slip on the wet wood, taking careful steps. When you both made it across, the room opened into another pocket. There were several other holes that someone could enter. In the middle there was a little scoop into the earth. Something seemed missing, but you couldn't quite put your finger on it.

"Right through here is Jainil's place. I should warn you that it's a little odd compared to other buildings in the underground."

"I'm sure it can't be that bad... right?"

Gaster chuckled.

"We'll see."

He led you to the end of the room to the right. As you turned to the building, you stared in disbelief.

A giant fish. For a house... I guess it can be that bad.

A training dummy sat off to the side, looking almost brand new save for the few holes here and there. You both walked to the teeth for doors and stood in front of it. As Gaster went to knock with the hand clasping yours, only then did he seem to finally notice. He quickly dropped yours and you immediately missed the warmth.

"Oh my- I didn't even.. I didn't notice. I'm terribly sorry-"

"No no, it's fine! It um... it felt nice..."

Gaster stared at you with big pin pricks as you shifted uncomfortably in his gaze. What you said seemed to click in his mind and soon was as purple as a violet. He covered his mouth and started to mutter things you didn't quite understand while looking everywhere but your direction.

Great, I've broken the man.

You left the skeleton to his thinking and knocked on the door yourself. This snapped Gaster out of whatever he was doing as he watched the door open. He straightened himself out quickly. The doors fully opened and Gaster walked inside, and so you followed. As soon as you set foot into the home, however, the world went dark.

Panic settled into your stomach as you looked around frantically. Your Soul jumped out of your chest and suddenly felt very vulnerable. Options shot up from nowhere, all labeled different things. There was Fight, Act, Item, and Mercy. They each had little symbols corresponding to their respective words. Above the option buttons was what you assumed to be your stats.

Y/n, LV 1. hp [20/20]

You looked around but only saw black. Someone suddenly jumped into view, but it was no one that you recognized. What confused you the most was that they looked like a little girl.