Chapter 10

A Chaotic Crew and a Broken Past

(Part 2)

____________________

Y/n PoV

As you and Gaster walked down the cold hallways of the True Lab, only silence and clicking of shoes on tile floors filled the air. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, however, but you wanted to know more about the scientist's study.

"So... What's in Experimentation room 3?"

"Ah.. room 3 is where we do most of our Soul experiments." You remembered your conversation you'd had with Gaster about the barrier and Souls, but you still didn't quite understand the concept of it.

"Oh, right. Souls. You told me before that you need 7 to break the barrier, right?"

"That is correct."

"What exactly are Souls?"

Gaster stopped in his tracks, seeming to ponder the question.

"Well... You could say that they are the very culmination of your being. Your Soul is you, and you are your Soul."

He glanced at you to see if you understood, and you nodded as if to say 'keep going'.

"Ahem.. Monster souls are usually lacking of any colour. Though some, myself included, have a trait that is dominant and shows colour. Human Souls, however, always have some sort of trait colour, therefore why humans have stronger souls than most. Understand so far?"

You nodded while letting the new information soak into your brain. Gaster smiled and you both continued down the way to Room 3. You both conversed on the topic of Souls until eventually a door with a large 3 printed on the front came into view. It was the same type of door that was on the upper Lab entrance. Gaster stepped forward and placed a hand on a screen to the left, letting the door slide upwards with ease. He gestured for you to follow him, which you obliged to. When you did a quick sweep of the room, there were 2 things that immediately caught your attention.

The first thing was the amount of syringes lying on top of tables everywhere. The second thing was the large screen in the middle of the room, which had many attachments connected to it. It seemed to be a monster of sorts. Gaster scuffled over to a desk and placed down his notes that he had gathered in his office. As he began to mutter incoherent words, you took the chance to walk around the room. The walls were squeaky clean white, and the same to the floors. Most of the furniture was made out of metal, giving it an almost futuristic look.

"Say, you said that souls have traits and colours, right?"

Gaster looked up from his reading and nodded in your direction.

"Yes."

"How do you figure out what they look like? Is there some sort of test, or is it just a magic thing?"

"Ah, well, generally to know your trait, you would have to take your Soul out and see it's colour. The most rare being Red, for Determination, and ironically is also the most powerful trait as well. Though, since magic is lost to humans now, your kind would need a monsters help to draw out the Soul to figure it out nowadays."

"Could you draw out my Soul for me then? So I can look?"

Gaster choked with wide eyes and went into a coughing fit. You quickly ran over to pat his back, worried that you had said something offensive. With lavender tinted cheeks, he nervously looked around the room.