Chapter 16

The Core and Dings

___________________________________

It's been 2 months since Papyrus had taken his first steps. Since then, working together with Gaster, you both helped him learn to walk with more balance. Soon enough, Papyrus had started to walk around on his own, albeit with the help of the railings and furniture. Sans had also taught him more words, and while he still couldn't put together sentences, he said random words at random times. You all quickly learned that his favorite word to say was "butterfly", though he pronounced it like "Bubberfly". You still remembered how Gaster almost cried when he called him "Daddy". And, on the same note, you had finally gotten used to being called "Mom" by Sans.

Getting up in the morning as usual, wiping the sleepiness out of your eyes, the only thing different was the fact that you had had your nightmare again. In the unfamiliar place, lava had bubbled at your feet and steam arose from the odd mechanism you stood. After waking up more, you had narrowed the place down to Hotlands. That was the only reasonable place, after all. Ignoring the sinking feeling in your stomach, you stood up and stretched awake.

Padding down the stairs, you saw Gaster sipping on his coffee as per usual. Given the amount of time you have spent together, the feelings you had realized before never went away. They stayed like a burning fire, and every joke he made only made it burn brighter in your chest. You were content with how the way things were, so you never thought about making any advances on the scientist.

It's probably for the best. I wouldn't want to make things awkward between us when everything is fine the way it is.

"Are you alright, Y/n? You seem out of it. Did you get enough sleep last night?"

Nodding tiredly, you sat in the wooden chair opposite of him and slumped down, putting your head against your arm on the table.

"Just thinking about a lot of things, you know? Not a good thing to do when you first wake up."

"Oh, I see.. Er, here. Take a sip, perhaps it will wake you up some."

Gaster nudged over his mug of black coffee to you, offering the caffeine. You stared at the black cup, and picked it up after some hesitation. The thought about an indirect kiss crossed your mind, but you shook it off as soon as it came. You raised the mug up to your lips and took a drink, making a face at the bitterness as the hot liquid went down your throat. Gaster laughed airily and took it back from your hands, setting it back down onto the table.

"Terrible, isn't it?"

"Blehck- Yeah, it is. I have a new found respect for you."

"I just do what I have to so I can think clearly for my calculations."

"I can already feel the fog clearing up though, thanks."

"Of course, my dear."

You stilled at the sudden nickname, and looked at Gaster with wide eyes. He looked at you curiously, his eye pricks turning to question marks.

"Is something the matter?"

"I- no, I must still be sleepy. I was probably just hearing things, don't worry about it."

I need to stop reading those books until 3 in the morning, it's making me delusional.

"If you say so.. Ah, it's almost time for me to go. I'm going to go and get ready, so why don't you-?"

"Actually.. I was wondering if I could come with you today?"

Gaster gazed at you with surprised eyes. You almost never ask to come with him, wanting to spend time with the boys instead.