Chapter 9

A Chaotic Crew and a Broken Past

(Part One)

________________

3rd POV

Before you had even realized it, a month had passed in the monster household. Sans spent most of his time trying to teach Papyrus new words, like 'Hello' and 'Dad/Daddy'. You usually caught him during the early mornings, and you had overheard Papyrus getting one of them right once as well. You didn't say anything about it to Sans, because you thought that he was probably trying to make it a surprise. Though, you did discover he had an obsession with ketchup, having woken up at midnight and found him trying to sneak to his room with the bottle in his hands.

You also had noticed that you were seeing Gaster less and less, and each time you did see him he had a mug of black coffee and ever darkening eyebags. To be honest, you were getting more and more concerned about how much sleep he was getting, which is what led to you stopping him at 5 am in the morning, the mission in your mind to get him to rest.

________

"What is it, Y/n? Why are you up so early?"

Your brows furrowed at his question, thinking it was ironic of him to ask that. He faltered a bit at seeing your expression, used to you being cheerful, not this serious. You put a hand on your hip and studied his eyes.

"Gaster, you need to sleep. You're going to get sick at this rate."

The monster in question bone-brows shot up, making his eye bags even more apparent. You scowled, concerned for the man.

"I've been seeing you less and less, and I always see you drinking coffee. I'm worried, Gaster. Don't think I can't see those eye bags."

Gaster's face softened. He frowned, and his pin pricks dimmed ever so slightly.

"I'm sorry for worrying you Y/n, but really, I'm fine. I got some sleep at the Lab yesterday-"

"Is that where you've been? Work? I'm sure it's important, but I think you should take a day off. Can't your team take care of themselves for one day?"

Gaster's mouth pressed into a fine line, pondering over what you said. You sighed and let your arm drop. You stepped closer to Gaster and put a hand on his shoulder. He looked back up you at the touch.

"I get wanting to work, but at this point you're going to overwork yourself."

"I understand your concern, but we are so close to a break through! I can't stop now, not when what could save the Underground is almost there."

With that, Gaster shrugged off your hand and walked out the door with a flick of his lab coat. You clenched your fist in anger and punched the wall next to you, a stinging pain stabbing at your knuckles. You grit your teeth and turned around to the kitchen.

"Ugh, that- Can't he just take a break? Honestly!"

You pulled open the fridge door harshly and grabbed a can of Yoohoo, shaking it roughly. You swung the door closed and opened your can, taking a swig of the chocolate drink. You thought about what he said with a scowl adorned on your lips. He had explained to you about their situation when you had asked before, about how they needed 7 human 'souls' to break the barrier. You had acted like you knew what he meant, but when you asked if you could do anything to help he had shook his head no, saying there was nothing.