Chapter 2

The Man Who Speaks in Hands

-------------------------------------------------

Y/N POV

The person -no, Monster- stood behind me with rolled back shoulders, standing tall and proud, spine straightened to a point. And, like, really tall- he looked to be just a head shorter than Asgore, but even then, the King was enormous. His face reminded me of that of a skeleton, though it didn't exactly... match the ones I was used to. There were cracks running up and down his skull, one going up on his left and one going down on his right.

Though I guess it would be the opposite to him.

He wore a black turtle neck shirt with a silky white lab coat over it, a few black stains spotting the bottom. His pants looked like a mix between dress pants and sweatpants, however that worked. His shoes were just black, I couldn't quite tell what they were. I looked back up to his face, and see that in fact he had white pin pricks, looking sharp, but with a hint of something I couldn't quite tell what it was.

He held a nervous smile, and that's when I realized-

Oh my god, I just stared at him for-

Heat spread to my neck and trailed it's way to my face. I quickly glanced down.

As if that'll save face.. Wow Y/n, so much for first impressions!

I look back up and see that he had gotten closer to the table, and was moving to sit on the left side.

At least I know who the plate was for. I look back up at him once he sat down, embarrassment still eminent on my face. No one had said anything, adding to the awkwardness and tension to the air. So, with a burst of courage that came from who knows where, I said, in a spout of brilliance,

"...Knock knock."

REALLY Y/N?!! KNOCK KNOCK??! WHAT EVEN ARE YOU, AWKWARD CENTRAL?

".....Who is there?"

My eyebrows shot up in surprise to Gaster, and see he had curiosity and amusement in his eyes, er, well, pin pricks. I grin slightly, getting more confident.

"Orange."

"Orange who?"

"Orange you glad I didn't say banana?" I laugh, and just like that, the tension in the air dissipates. Toriel laughed with her chest as if it was the best thing she's ever heard, while Asgore only shook his head and sighed. I turned back to Gaster who looked more relaxed than before and gave a small smile. I gave a lopsided smile and stuck out my hand to him.

"Sorry about before, I'm Y/n. Hope I didn't rattle your bones." Gaster looked surprised for moment before smiling and taking my hand and giving it a shake. His hands, I now noticed, had gaping holes in them, which made me slightly worried for a moment before changing my expression hoping he didn't notice. Besides from the holes, his hand felt unexpectedly warm and not as hard as I had guessed they would be.

Remember, Y/n- These are monsters. Some of them probably have holes because it's just how their bodies are.

"It's quite alright, Y/n. It is nice to make your acquaintance."

His voice sounded almost British in a way, but just enough to make it sound rather... pleasant to listen to.

I bet he's great at telling stories. I smile back and retreated my hand before it got awkward again, and locked back on the pie, which had slices cut into it and put onto the plates in front of us. Toriel had sat down across from me and shared a look with Asgore before looking to Gaster.