Chapter 2

I am rushing for my interview and I don't like it! I hate being late for anything. Tardiness just isn't in my dictionary but I had to change my outfit last minute since the zip of my favorite Steve Madden "good luck" skirt decided to get stuck today of all days.

I'm freaking out right now because this has never happened...ever!

Although I am not superstitious or anything, I just feel a sense of foreboding and I don't like this feeling.

I quickly apply lipgloss, check myself for the last time and dash out of my quaint downtown apartment.

There's less traffic on the road considering it's only 12 noon and the rush hour has longed passed and the lunch rush is yet to come .

The streets of the city of London is less busy but crowded all the same. I check the time and it's 12:15pm. I have 15 more minutes to go and I'm almost at "Hofer Assets and Appraisals"

I arrive with only 5 minutes to spare and I feel relieved. I still find it weird that my interview is at 12:30pm considering most interviews are normally scheduled in the mornings. But then again, one never know.

I hastily approach the moody receptionist who hands me a tag and directs me to the 7th floor. I take the empty lift checking my appearance and straightening my Brown peplum dress. A gift from my best friend on my 27th birthday just last month. I do a once over and exit the lift heading towards the smart looking brunette sitting behind a longboat dark oak large office desk, who I am assuming is the secretary. She looks up at the click of my red jimmy Choo pumps and gives a small smile.

"Hello how may I assist you"

I look down at her name tag to check her name,

" Hi Miss Davies , I'm Noa King and I'm here for the interview"

She looks at me funnily and said the interview was over 30 minutes ago and all interviewees were to be around at 9:30am. I am shocked and don't speak for a few minutes.

But I regain my composure and show her the email I got from their company

She reads it and her face falls... "I'm so sorry Miss King, there seems to be a mistake on our part concerning the time given you. I don't know how this happened but i will surely look into this . For now I will try to schedule a meeting for you at an opportune time. I do apologize for the inconvenience."

Try? did this bitch say try? It took me a whole week to prepare for this interview. I need this project so bad. It will help build my portfolio so well. Dear God I can't miss this opportunity, I just can't!

"Janice, how about letting the interviewer know the situation, maybe he will make time to see me . Considering the miscommunication and all".
She sigh and I just know I wouldn't like what is coming.
"Miss King, he's done with the interviews. I'm sorry for the error and inconvenience but there's nothing I can do but reschedule you"

" oh, come on. Surely he can spare a few minutes. Ten, that's all I'm asking for. Please, just ask-"

"Miss King, that's not happening, that's not how things work here. I already told you he's done with-"

"Janice what is going on here?"

I turn quickly and my breath gets knocked out of my lungs. He is a handsome. A real looker with dark hair and an impressive physique. He stood at about 6'4 and I can tell he works out. His grey suit looks like it's made for purposely for him.

I steal one last glance and quickly focus because I am upset and with good reason.
I see him check me out but I can't be so sure because his attention shifts to Janice who is explaining the situation to him.

He turns his attention to me again...

I'm Sorry Miss??..."

"Miss King , Noa King ... Nice meeting you Mr Hofer"
I hesitantly offer my hand and he takes it and shakes it boldly. I quickly withdraw my hand as a bolt of awareness rush through me at the contact. I'm not sure he noticed, but if he did, he controlled it really well.
I give him a shy smile to curb my uneasiness.

God he's so good looking and polite! I can't hold in my relief when he suggested I join him on his lunch break to present my Plan. It is a brilliant idea that I can't refuse.
An easy solution to the problem. He at least wants to rectify the error and aside everything, he really looks interested in whatever idea I have to present to him.

***

I try to make myself as comfortable as a situation like this will allow anyone to at the passenger seat of his sleek White Audi r8.
The interior of the car is black and so sleek I can't stop admiring it. The drive is silent. I take my phone out and reply to some messages and check the notifications the whole ride because I am too nervous to say anything.

We arrive at Cigalon, a classy contemporary French restaurant in a double- height space with a greenhouse glass ceiling. it looks nice, really nice and I'm definitely coming back to this place with my best friend when my nerves are calm. It's my very first time here and I'm loving what I see already. The tall lanky waiter comes around to welcome us and present us with the menu.

I order just a glass of water because I am too nervous to stomach any food at the moment.

This is an opportunity I didn't want to miss in anyway. Mr Hofer makes his food order with a glass of water too and the waiter leaves.

Mr Hofer turns his full attention to me and I sit up and straighten my posture.
"Well Miss King, I want to apologize again for the error. Anyways I'm ready whenever you are..."

"Thank you Mr Hofer for making time for me. I do appreciate the time and effort.

The waiter interrupted a couple of times during my presentation but it went on smoothly, and by Mr Hofer's look I think he likes my idea for the "Hofer Haven project."

"Alright Miss King can u come by the office at 10am tomorrow so we can talk and finalize everything"

"Oh does this mean I have the contract? And sure, I will be there tomorrow thank you."

"Yes Miss King you have the contact. But are you sure you don't need me to drop you off anywhere?"

We stood outside waiting for the valet to bring his car around.

"No thank you I will get a taxi around"

"Alright see you tomorrow then".

I give a shy little wave as he drives off.
I do a little happy dance and quickly look around to make sure nobody saw me and hail a taxi.

✨✨✨