Chapter 17

"Scheiße"!
I cuss out quietly as soon as I hear Iris' voice through Noa's phone.
I deduce immediately from her insistence yells that It's not going to end well. All hell is about to break loose! Literally!

I am still trying to phantom what in heaven's name she is doing in my office. She has not been there for so long, I sometimes forget she knows my office building.

I can't even consider Janice or any of my staff tipping her off because Noa and I have been very professional with our relationship in the office. There is no reason whatsoever for her to be there.

I have been calling Noa, even after two days of the incident and her phone is off or cannot be reached.
I need to conclude my work here today to be able to go back and clear this mess up before it's too late.
I have some groveling to do and doing it on my knees wouldn't even matter to me at this point.

Thinking about Iris' reason for visiting my office still gets my blood boiling.
I called her immediately Noa hanged up on me and her reason being that she is finally ready to sign the papers and after noticing my absence from the house for a while, opted to visit my office.

"You do realize there's something called a phone right? You need to stop playing these games! I do not appreciate them Iris!"

I confronted her after listening to all her rants and cuss on the phone for ten minutes".
Apparently, She doesn't need to call her husband when she needs to see him to have a discussion as serious as this!

I can't deny that the news came at a perfect time. But I'm not as ecstatic as I should be because Iris' action may cost me the woman I am slowly falling in love with.
I know I may sound selfish right now but at in this moment I don't seem to care.

"Fancy a cuppa" in an about an hour to finalize everything?"

I re read the text from my client few minutes ago and quickly reply with a "yes" while making a quick call the airline concerning my departure date adjustment. Luckily there's a flight to London this evening around 7:45 with some charges of course.

I start parking my small traveling luggage, throwing on a white shirt and a navy blue pantsuit to meet my client.
We finalize the contract and at 9:30pm I am  in London heading into my house.
The house is very quiet when I enter and immediately notice that Iris is out.
I drop my luggage on the bed in the guest room and sit in the couch heaving I big sigh.
This is the last place I want to be but I want to finalize everything with Iris before seeing and talking with Noa.

Giving her time to overthink on this issue is the last thing I want to do but again, I don't want to repeat the same mistake. I want to be with her a free man with no baggage. I hate seeing her sad and I'm certain this issue will have her sad and worried.
I am gutted and I'm not even the victim. I don't even want to imagine what is going through that pretty head of hers now.

" I'm home where are you? Can you speak with your attorney? I want a meeting tomorrow if possible."
I send to Iris and wait for about an
before getting an "ok" reply.

I see she ignored my first question but I'm too drained to care now.

The finalization and all the paper work for the divorce took a few days.
Finally all proceedings are concluded earlier and today I can't be more happy.

It took longer than I imagined but I am not complaining.
It's a big step and a relief for me and I am ready to move on with my life.

I am in no rush but I know Noa is a big part of my life now and I'm ready to take that step with her.

" Man, do you want to grab a drink later to celebrate my win and your freedom tonight?"
My lawyer asks while giving me a little man pat on my shoulder.
"Sure man! Let's meet at "Coburg" around 8pm. I need to run by the office to see to some work."
I reply absentmindedly while sending Janice a text.
He gives me a knowing smirk and one last double pat on my shoulder before leaving.

"She's still around Mr Hofer but I think she will be leaving soon because she mentioned going for her friends opening tonight"

As soon as I read Janice message I am hightailing to my car and hoping to beat the London traffic and catch Noa before she leaves the office.

As soon as I get off the lift, I see Noa talking and smiling with Janice.
Even from this angle, I can see that her smile is not genuine and she looks a little tired and sad.
But she still looks good to me. And her smile is like a breadth of fresh air, even though it's not directed at me.
I notice her tense as soon as I get closer and she notices me.
"Leaving already miss King? I wanted to catch you for a quick talk"
I approach her giving her a small professional smile knowing Janice is watching us.
Noa is stunning and I can't take my eyes of her. She looks so good in her beige jacket and black Steve Madden dress . She has on some type of weave that looks amazing on her, and i realize just how much I miss her now that I'm this close to her.

" I'm so sorry mr. Hoffer I'm running a little late for my friends event which starts in two hours. Can it wait till tomorrow? I really have to go now to be able to beat the traffic and actually make it."
She replies with a closed smile and turn to leave.
I really want to protest but I cant because I have to respect the space she's demurely demanding and I don't want Janice getting suspicious with the way her hawklike eyes is watching us both back and forth right now.

"Oh Sophie's event is tonight? Congrats to her" I won't keep you waiting then. I hope you ladies enjoy the evening and have fun".
Her reply is a polite nod and a small smile.
The atmosphere is getting tense fast and I don't want to prolong this uncomfortable torture for her so
I give her a quick nod and watch her rush to catch the lift before it closes.
I watch until she disappears into the lift before heading into my office.

***
Sorry for the long wait... I hope you enjoy this chapter.