Chapter 2

August 2022: edited poor Dani's classes AGAIN because I thought they could pick only 1 elective
"Who are you harassing now-"

Dani stopped when she saw who Ismelda was with: she'd grown taller and changed her hair, but Dani stilled recognized the young Hufflepuff.

"Beatrice?"

"Hey, Dani."

"Penny said you changed a lot over summer."

"She's just upset her sister is no longer a mini Penny," moaned Ismelda. "C'mon, let's go."

Dani turned and began to head towards the west tower staircase. She had to get back to her common room ASAP if she was to finish her essay on fluxweed, which was due the day after, and read up on glumbumble and wound-cleaning potions for upcoming classes.

While she went up the stairs, she saw Professor Trelawney, the Divination professor. Dani hadn't really seen her since dropping Divination, and didn't pay much attention to Trelawney, who was going through a deck of cards and muttering to herself, but when she passed Dani, Trelawney suddenly grabbed the student's arm.

"You, dear. Come with me."

Trelawney practically dragged Dani to the east towers. Dani half tried to break free, but seeing Trelawney's horrified face, she decided that maybe she wanted to know what was going on.

Dani was marched up to Trelawney's classroom-if it could even be considered one-which had small tables with pouffes where the students sat. Dani settled down at one of the tables as the professor frantically ran around the classroom, apparently making tea.

Trelawney went to the student with a cup of piping hot tea. "Drink until only the dregs remain, swill them around the cup thrice with your left hand, then turn the cup upside down on its saucer."

Dani did as she was told. Once the last of the tea was drained, Trelawney picked it up and inspected it, growing more scared by the moment. From the glances Dani caught of it, she saw something that resembled an animal-a sheep, or maybe a hippo.

"I'm seeing murky water... Changes swirling around you... Endings... Final endings... Prices to pay... The ultimate price... You see this right here?"

Trelawney turned the teacup towards Dani and rotated it so Dani could see what she could. "Is that... A wolf? Or a dog?"

"Miss Jackson, this is... The grim."

Dani could see it now: the large black dog that symbolized death. She was about to ask Trelawney who and where she ought to stay away from when the trapdoor swung open and a head of greasy dark hair popped in.

"Severus, would you care to leave? You're clouding my inner eye."

"I'll leave as soon as I have Miss Jackson, Sybill."

"Me?"

"Come quick. It's an urgent matter."
************************************
"Miss Murk and Beatrice Haywood found him in the courtyard. I suspect this is linked to the cursed vaults."

Dani stared down at the stone statue. She didn't recognize this student, but she knew that his misfortune was the tip of the iceberg for things to come.

"I wanted to show you before Professors Dumbledore and Sprout showed up and asked you to go to bed. The faculty had been hard at work over the holidays, working alongside the ministry to locate Patricia Rakepick and make sure she no longer posed a threat to our students, or any witch or wizard for that matter. And I don't think you've seen a dementor kissing a redhead on the Daily Prophet recently, so you can guess how that went. Any questions?"

"No, sir."

"Very well. Then I advise you to return to your common room for the night and do your homework. I'm sure you're well aware that I wasn't exactly satisfied with your OWL results..."

Madam Pomfrey grimaced as Dani left the hospital wing. Dani now had a decision to make.

But then it wasn't an extremely tough call. Dani had never been one to play it safe. With the information overload of the night, Dani knew that she probably wouldn't be able to sleep anyway, and eveb if she did, Sprout, being head of Hufflepuff, probably wouldn't give her a harsh punishment. Besides, if Torvus could tell her more about what Trelawney meant, and maybe divulge information about the final vault, it was worth risking becoming a werewolf's dinner.