Lone Wolf Part 1

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE.
"Hello."

Dani sat down next to a third-year girl, who was flipping through her textbook. "Pippa, right? Not sure if you've heard of me before, but I'm Dani, and I'm one of the Gryffindor prefects. I've been told-"

Pippa slams her book shut, looks Dani in the eye, and asks urgently, "Is it just me, is it just because Halloween is coming up, or is there a werewolf at Hogwarts?"

"...What?"

The younger student gulped. "On Friday night, I was feeding Kettleburn's creatures for detention because he caught me throwing puffskeins-"

"Hang on, I thought throwing puffskeins was a Slytherin thing, but apparently it's actually a lowerclassmen thing-OK, that's besides the point, carry on."

"So I left pretty late and went towards the castle for dinner, when I was attacked by a light grey werewolf."

"A LIGHT GREY WEREWOLF?!"

Dani remembered a scene from last year. A light grey werewolf, about the size of a teenage girl, laying limp in front of Fenrir Greyback.

"Again, it could've been something else, my memory's a bit fuzzy. But remember last year's Halloween feast? They had to postpone it because-"

"Don't worry, Fenrir Greyback has been dealt with by the authorities," Dani reassured Pippa. "Werewolves aren't dangerous as long as they can control themselves, unlike Greyback. But if there's an uncontrollable werewolf at school here, things could get real bad real fast. I'll have to report this to McGonagall-"

"Oh, no, please don't, I don't need a professor in on this, I just need to remember what happened that night-"

'Maybe I should just talk to Chiara,' Dani thought.

"I'll see if some of my friends can help you with that, Pippa. But if all else fails, we'll have to bring adults in."
************************************
"What are the ingredients of a memory potion?"

"Um... Jobberknoll feathers, stewed mandrake, powdered sage, and this other thing with a really weird name..."

"Lethe River water?"

"Nice try, that's an ingredient in the forgetfulness potion. Oh hi Dani, we're studying for Snape's quiz, wanna join us?"

"Can I steal Chiara for a moment?" asked Dani.

"Yeah, sure." Chiara got out of her chair and moved towards a shelf with Dani.

"Keep it down, Pince is in a bad mood today," warned Penny before turning back to Tonks. "So on the subject of forgetfulness potions, how do you brew one?"

"Sh*t... So you add two drops of Lethe River water, heat for 20 seconds, and that's all I remember..."

"Damn NEWT classes," joked Chiara.

"The 40 of us are in this together," said Dani. "Anyway, I'm not doing Astronomy this year, but-"

Chiara tensed up. "Neither am I, but did someone get attacked by a light grey werewolf lately?"

The ensuing silence gave Chiara the answer.

"What are the ingredients of the draught of living death? I'll give you the first few: standard potioning water, powdered root of asphodel, an infusion of wormwood, valerian root..."

Dani looked back at Chiara, remembering that the Hufflepuffs were talking about memory potions when she came in. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet..."