Chapter 12

"Hot tip, kids, maybe you should practise using this thing before doing whatever crazy thing you seem like you want to do with this," Alistair had said before Dani and Jae left Knockturn Alley. And Jae already had a brilliant idea.
************************************
"She's coming, with Flitwick," Jae said as he went back into the classroom.

Dani peeked out from under the cloak. "Amazing, now I don't have to go through her drawers."

She hid back under the cloak just as McGonagall and Flitwick came in. "Ah, Mr. Kim."

"I was just leaving, I'd left my textbook here. See you later," said Jae before heading out.

"So, about the Castelobruxo exchange program..."
************************************
"So maybe I SHOULD have searched her drawers. She wouldn't talk about the Transfiguration quiz with the Charms professor, would she?"

"Quite frankly, I think those two subjects are pretty similar," groaned Jae, "but fair enough, you would've made a lot of noise searching. Who's next on the hit list?"

"Well, because of THIS..." Dani held up her notes for the Transfiguration quiz they'd just failed to cheat on, "...and all the homework I haven't done yet, and the fact that everyone has different timetables this year, I've only managed to glean that Kettleburn and Binns have overlapping free periods with me this week."

"Binns," Jae repeated. "Good luck eavesdropping on a ghost."
************************************
"Hey, Liz."

"Oh, hi Dani." The Slytherin patted the head of the unicorn she was feeding.

"You seem relaxed, are you seriously done with your homework?" Dani clapped her hands.

"For once."

"That's better than me. Look, do you mind if I'm here for a bit?" Dani held up her cloak.

"Sure, but can you save the part where you tell me about your crazy plans? I'm not in the mood, I need to enjoy some stress-free time."

"That's alright," said Dani, pulling the cloak over herself as Kettleburn came in with Hagrid.

"Nice o' yeh teh help out, Liz," said Hagrid.

"Do you think we should tell her to leave?" asked the professor.

"Nah, it's not like it's summat child-inappropriate. So, abou' the grindylows..."

"Yeah, we can't risk upsetting the merpeople, they're a picky bunch. Albus would know how to sort them out, wouldn't he?"
************************************
Dani had a bit more luck with Binns than she and Jae had predicted-once the first-years had left, yawning, Pince showed up, with Dani slipping in behind her.

"Cuthbert, remember when I discussed with you Patricia Rakepick's interest in the history of merpeople?"

"Oh... Did you, Irma?"

"Anyway, with Albus recently notifying the staff of strange merpeople activity, I think it's time we dug deeper. As members of Hogwarts' faculty, it's our job to protect the students, especially since we may have the Mahoutokoro wizard on the loose."
************************************
Sunday morning...

Dani stirred her cereal, thinking about how to use Bilton's new products she'd bought the day before on Filch, when a letter dropped on her lap. It was from Moody.

Dani,
I'm busy right now, but if I weren't, I would've came down to Zonko's to give you a surprise. I'd rather you and Jae Kim study like good students for your Transfiguration quiz. Remember, I have eyes and ears everywhere, young lady.
My mechanical eye can see through invisibility cloaks, and so can the ministry. And Chester Davies wasn't trying to steal confiscated dark artefacts that belonged to a dangerous witch.
Forget the ministry, and focus on your homework for now. And always remember to exercise constant vigilance, Dani.
Mad-Eye

"I did talk about 'slowing down' last weekend," Rowan sat down next to Dani. "I think I have something that'll take your mind off the vaults for a bit."

"And that is...?"

"A third-year has been asking around for one of the Gryffindor prefects. And you know, we don't exactly have ones like Angelica or Bill right now."

"Yeah, I know, I'm way worse."

"I know, all the prefects are busy enough, Charlie has quidditch, bla bla bla... But I think you should talk to her. She seems distressed."