Chapter 14

"Thanks for coming, I didn't think Rowan would've convinced you not to go to Hogesmeade."

"Quidditch weekend isn't normally a busy one in the village," said Dani, awkwardly prodding one of the statues. "Come to think of it, I haven't been there as much as I used to. I've been running around Knockturn Alley trying to find Rakepick-you know, the DADA professor last year who was all over the Daily Prophet."

"So many of the upperclassmen have told me great things about the Three Broomsticks and Zonko's and Honeydukes. Year three can't come quickly enough. Dad says with my marks, I may very well be able to skip a year or two, but then I'll still want to be with kids my own age..." Cedric said. "It's not always great being the star of the year."

"Rowan hasn't skipped, so you probably won't either."

"It's just that Dad brags about me a lot. It gets embarrassing." Cedric was massaging the petrified student on the next bed, not really knowing if he was doing anything productive either. "He wants me to be a healer. I'd rather work for the ministry, do something more adventurous."

"Who cares what your dad thinks? This is YOUR career!"

Cedric shrugs. "He wants me to be head boy, and quidditch captain..." He looks over at Madam Pomfrey, who's fixing a Slytherin chaser's nose. "They weren't even playing Gryffindor today."

"We could sure use Erika Rath on OUR team," Dani joked.

Cedric looked up at Dani. "Do other people have high expectations of you?"

"If death eaters are 'high expectations' to you, then yes," laughed Dani. "I think I'm harder on myself than others are. I feel like I'm obligated to save the school sometimes."

Cedric smiled along. "Honestly, I do enjoy having someone to talk to... Or rant to, I guess. I know I'm only a first-year, but... Can we be friends?"

"I'd like that, Cedric."

They carried on chatting for a little longer before Madam Pomfrey came over. "Miss Jackson, can you do me a favour and run down to the Potions classroom? Professor Snape had students brewing pepperup potion for me."

"I'm on it."
************************************
Down in the dungeons, Dani finds Snape's dimly lit classroom deserted, save for Penny.

"Hey. Is that the pepperup potion for M-"

"Yep, it's almost done, just like my relationship with Beatrice."

Dani stopped. "What... Exactly... Have you done?" She asked, trying not to sound like she was blaming Penny.

"You guys were right. I shouldn't have worried about her. Now she's accusing me of smothering her. I think she hates me more than ever."

"...Well... Maybe-"

"How are things with Alex, you know, with him running off and stuff? Do you think things could be the same as, you know, before he was expelled?"

"As much as I hate to admit it, no. I was a little kid back then. We've both grown up. Things change with time."

Penny mulled over her classmate's words as she bottled the potion. "I think we can-"

Just then, Professor Snape swept in. "Miss Jackson, I think you need to see this. Miss Haywood, you can come too."
************************************
"Mr. Diggory was the one who found-"

"Severus!"

Professor Dumbledore turned around. "I told you not to bring students in! The staff can-"

"But Miss Jackson-"

"Miss Jackson should be spending her time on homework! She has her NEWTs next year, Severus!"

Professor Snape sighed. "Very well then, Albus. I'll leave Miss Haywood's pepperup potions here, and I'll escort these two back to their common rooms."

So he did-but not before Dani and Penny saw the petrified figure of Madam Pomfrey.