Chapter 21

"Firstly, let me apologize for not reaching out to you sooner. I thought it would be best to give you time to think before we spoke. But now that some time has passed, how are you doing?"

"Umm... Well..." Dani chose her words carefully, trying to deliver a message Ben and Merula would want her to. "Professor, I appreciate your concern, but what I would like most at this point is your support in helping us beat R to the final vault. Staff and students are in danger, and I owe it all to Rowan to-"

"Enjoy the rest of your school days... In one piece. Miss Khanna was your best friend here, that's what she would want for you, Miss Jackson. I'm concerned that you may be neglecting your own well-being and needs."

"I-"

"While learning to accept your loss is an important part of the grieving process, pushing yourself to move on too soon can be just as harmful as not moving on at all. That is why I encourage you to focus on grieving. Take time to embrace and accept your feelings."

Awkward silence.

"Think about this over dinner. I've heard we're having delicious baked potatoes tonight..."
**************************************
"Well, what if my way to 'grieve and process' is to make sure none of my schoolmates or professors get hurt anymore?!" Dani concluded her story. It was the day after, and she was talking to Moody in the Three Broomsticks. "The needs of one outweigh the needs of many. Other students deserve to be happy and carefree as much as I do, instead of constantly worrying about getting petrified or attacked by their ex-professor."

"So it's the end of January, nearly seven months since Rakepick's betrayal. R must be getting closer than ever to the final vault. What do YOU plan to do about that, Dani?"

"Well, I resurrected the vault squad. I mean, we call it the Circle of Khanna now, but right now we're working together to try and beat R to the final vault."

Moody nodded. "A very wise decision."

"Mr. Moody, the first time we met, you promised me you'd teach me to protect my friends. But I wasn't even able to protect myself in the forest that night, let alone anyone else."

"Are you trying to say that I didn't do enough to prepare you?" asked Moody.

"...Yes, you failed me."

"'Failed' is a strong word. We can do more once you're of age, during your inevitable assignment to the ministry next year. For now, you should devote yourself to leading the Circle of Khanna to victory against R in the race to the final cursed vault. Knowing you, I assure you'll feel better when you've landed a blow on Rakepick and her ilk."
**************************************
"Cedric! What happened?!"

Upon returning to Hogwarts, Dani rushed to hospital wing after getting the news that the first-year got injured in training.

"I'm fine," said Cedric. "Chiara's taking great care of me."

"Apparently Ben hexed him," said Chiara.

"...I probably need to have a talk with him soon," said Dani.

As Dani helped Chiara out with some of the patients, Chiara remarked, "Looks like the vault squad is back in action. Or the Circle? Is that what you call it now?"

"The Circle of Khanna," explained Dani. "Which reminds me, you weren't at the Hog's Head last week."

"Oh, um, something came up. You know, I'm busy with homework on top of helping to keep the hospital wing up and running..." said Chiara as they finished up and made their way to the great hall for dinner.

"That's alright, feel free to chip in on-"

Chiara shook her head as she went towards the Hufflepuff table.

"Chiara, wait!" Dani ran after Chiara.

"I'm not sure I want to join the Circle, Dani," said Chiara as she sat down at the table. Dani plopped down on a seat opposite to Chiara.

"Why not? You're an experienced healer, you-"

"Won't I be shunned from the group if the others find out I'm a werewolf?"

"What?! No way! You can trust-"

"And what if I hurt someone?!"

"Chiara, listen," said Dani. "It'll be fine. I won't anything bad happen to any of my friends ever again. It'll be a safe place for you. And don't you want to help us defend Hogwarts?"

"Hm... I'll think about it."

"Miss Jackson?"

McGonagall was standing behind Dani. "Professor Dumbledore wants to see you after dinner."

"Again?!"