Chapter 27

"How is she?" Alex asked as Dani came back outside.

"She'll live."

"Good," Alex commented. "Those marks on her looked pretty nasty. I'd bet she got a bit too close and the squid pulled her under."

"Which is amazing because we have proof the final vault is around here and now we have a giant squid to deal with too," said Dani.

"I was right," said Alex thoughtfully. "The Black Lake has enough obstacles and species in it to effectively conceal a cursed vault. Now all you have to do is beat R to it while I try to feed a dementor Rakepick's soul." He sighed. "I wish I could've handled this myself and not dragged you and your friends into this. I know what it's like to lose your right-hand man. Or woman. I wish I never trusted her in the first place. All the money and knowledge in the world isn't worth lives."

"It's not your fault," said Dani. "Rakepick killed those people. Rakepick used lost teenagers to further her destructive goals. Forget money and knowledge, she was the best DADA professor I've ever had, and that was all I needed to trust her. Even if it wasn't for good intentions, I feel like she taught me the skills I want and need to thrive out here when I leave Hogwarts."

Alex nodded. "Good for you, then. I wish I had a good DADA professor during my Hogwarts years, too." He checked his watch. "I have a new tip. I sure hope we can talk again soon."
************************************
"BEA!"

Beatrice flinched as Penny tackled her onto the bed. "Ow... Can't you-"

"Dani says you got attacked by the giant squid! How could-" Penny climbed off the bed and regained her composure. "Uh, I mean... You could've died, Bea. I'm still your sister. I wish I could help more than anything."

"Well, the reality is, my nosy big sister is only making matters worse by-" growled Beatrice.

"I don't want to lose you again, sis. I REALLY don't want to. So can you, PLEASE, trust me, just this once?"

"Long shot," moaned Beatrice.

"We could give it a try."

Beatrice rolled her eyes. "Fine. I've been having nightmares about, y'know, stuff happening at the lake. How I narrowly averted a disaster that set off a chain of events that ended with a student's death while I was there with Dani. I decided to head to the Black Lake to, well, face my fear, because I'm a coward who keeps getting herself into life-threatening situations because of her own insecurities."

"Bea, I'm proud of you for trying to face your fears," said Penny. "Rowan has been my friend since our first year and I've just been having a hard time dealing with her... Er, you said you were having nightmares?"

"I don't know why. We went there days before Dani and Merula got attacked. And even magic can't alter dreams... Right?"

"We can certainly try," said Penny. "Dani told me that Snape is an expert on reading minds and stuff..."
************************************
"Hm..." Snape said as he peered into Beatrice's mind. "...Miss Haywood, I don't believe these are anything more than nightmares."

"But they've been going on for weeks, and-"

"I think they might be a way to repress the trauma you've faced in the past two years, Miss Haywood. And I may not be able to help you with that-you ought to find a way to move forward yourself."
************************************
A few minutes later, Penny arrived at the courtyard, where she and Beatrice were supposed to meet up after she talked to Snape...

"Beatrice, I told you, the best thing you can do right now is to stop mucking about the lake," Ismelda said in an angry, scolding tone.

"I don't want to just 'get over it'. My life hasn't been perfect, but it's my life," said Beatrice.

"Huh?"

"I get it," Penny joined the conversation. "You're proud of who you've become in the past two years at Hogwarts. And I'm glad you are."

"Penny, can we take this somewhere else?" asked Beatrice.

Penny nodded, and Beatrice followed her down the corridor.

"I think my life has changed a lot, even after I came to Hogwarts," said Penny. "It's just part of growing up. And learning to move on doesn't mean giving up the things you hold dearest. Like Potions. Or Ismelda. I mean, she isn't You-Know-Who's daughter or anything..."

"You seem to think that I've become a death eater myself since I started hanging out with a Slytherin," said Beatrice as they walked past Sir Cadogan's portrait.

"Ah, but Beatrice Haywood wouldn't stoop as low, would she?" said Sir Cadogan. "Such an honest and courageous young lady who has faced many challenges with steadfastness deserves a knighthood, not some creepy tattoo!"

Beatrice chuckled and turned to her sister. "For once in the past two years, maybe you're right. But I think there's another important thing..."
************************************
"Unfortunately, with aggressive grindylows and merpeople we know nothing about how to deal with, the giant squid might just be the least of our worries in getting to the vault," said Ben.

"I know," said Dani. "I'm glad I have a seconder on this though, so thanks Beatrice."

Beatrice mumbled something before joining the rest of the Circle at the desks in the DADA classroom.

Dani turned to the others. "So, shall we get this meeting started?"