So, It Isn't

When the Espada arrive in the World of the Living, the place is a fucking warzone. Most - if not all - Hollows are dead, and the last of the Shinigami are fatally wounded. Ichigo should've called off the Hollows, but he doesn't know how. There was nothing he could've done, as much as it pains him.

And it pains him.

He leads the Espada to Aizen, their sonído unnervingly similar to marching. The closer they get to Aizen, the more anxious he gets. He does his best to hide it, yet he can't help repeating a phrase in his head. Over and over again in his head like a mantra. This is it, he tells himself. This is the end.

In a sense, it is. Ichigo is leading a special forces to take out the man who threatens everyone's existence. The Shinigami have his back. Rukia is safe. However, the ginger has to remind himself that nothing is over until Aizen is dead. He can still lose this if he doesn't keep his head on straight.

Inoue is still on the same roof from last time. The girls are still with her. Unfortunately, Aizen and his lackeys are gone. The hair on the back of Ichigo's neck stands on end.

He sends a wave of Reiatsu at the fire in the corner of the building, snuffing out the flame in an instant. Inoue whips around, hands on her pins, ready for an attack that wasn't going to come. She stands taller when Ichigo lands on the roof. The Espada follow his lead.

"Ichi-nii!" Yuzu shouts in relief.

Her and Karin run to Ichigo. He crouches down, arms open. They engulf into an embrace so tight. God, he loves these girls.

"Are you alright?" He asks them.

"Where did you go?" Karin demands. "Why do you keep leaving us behind?"

His heart breaks a little. "You guys can't go where I can."

"Why? What are you doing?"

"He's trying to save your lives," Starrk states.

"Hey! Were we talking to you losers!" Karin snaps.

"Losers?" Syazel quirks an eyebrow. "Ichigo, control your pet. It looks like she'll bite."

The Cero Espada sends a heated glare. "Talk to my sister like that again, and you'll regret it."

Harrible and Nel laugh. Harrible's is more quiet than Nel, her shoulders simply bouncing, while as Nel just blurts out into a fit.

"What are you laughing at?" The pink haired man furrows his eyebrows, lips pouting.

"You, fool," Harrible grins through her voice. "You think Kurosaki is the type of man to let such words go unpunished? He'll rip you apart, and we'd let him."

"We follow him for his loyalty. Don't betray his," Nel advises.

"If you trash are done with your quibble, Aizen is awaiting," Ulquiorra states.

"R-right," Syazel agrees, trying to shake off Ichigo's yellow eyes.

"You're leaving again?" Yuzu frowns.

"No!" Karin hugs Ichigo a little tighter. "You can't go again!"

"I have to," the ginger says softly, eyes on his sisters.

"But what if you don't come back?"

That's honestly something Ichigo never thought about. It stumps him. Before his sisters get the chance to see his conflicted expression, his lips pull into a gentle smile.

"I'll come back. I always do."

They shake their heads. He sighs. He puts them at arm's distance to look them in the eye. He sets a hand on their opposite shoulders, and he manages to keep the smile on his face.