Well, That's New

Rukia is the only one who knows about Ichigo's parents. For the time being, he plans to keep it that way. He took very little from the box they found before putting it back in the floor.

Despite how Uryū proclaims to be the last Quincy, Ichigo is well aware his father is still alive. So, to get more information, Ichigo takes the cross, an ancient textbook in German, and a polaroid photo to Ishida Ryuuken's work after school. Ryuuken is famous enough for his work at the Karakura Hospital to be on Google, so plus for Ichigo.

"Excuse me, ma'am," Ichigo starts. He had just gone up to the front desk on the floor Ryuuken performs surgeries on. "I'm looking for Dr. Ishida. Is he here?"

"He's taking his smoke break right now. I'll direct you to him." the nurse states.

After some twists and turns, a couple of dead ends, Ichigo finds the man. His hair is white, eyes startling blue, glasses clean and black - according to the polaroid, anyway. Oh yeah, definitely related to Ishida Uryū.

Ryuuken is on a balcony in a smoking zone. He's leaning against the railing, and watching Karakura from above. The cigarette in his hand is almost gone.

"Tell me, Kurosaki, when did you learn to hide your Reiatsu?" Ryuuken takes a puff.

"A while ago."

"Did you teach yourself?"

"It's not like anyone wanted to help."

An impressed grunt comes from him. He flicks the cigarette off the balcony, and turns to Ichigo.

"I wish my son was more like you in that. He's hung over his grandfather, and insists I have to return to the Quincy ways to help his training."

"I actually learned that from Ishida, sir."

A humorous grin pulls at Ryuuken's lips. "No you didn't."

"Did I get it from my mother then? Like my Quincy heritage?"

"So Isshin finally told you."

"No he didn't."

They watch each other for a moment, eyes scanning the other, looking for something that's not really there. Aside from the brighter hair, this man is an older copy of Uryū. His smart ass of a friend must get his darker hair from his mother. Ichigo guesses he could say the same about his mother and her ginger hair. Then again, he doesn't really look like his dad.

"I should be getting back," Ryuuken decides.

"Wait," Ichigo intercepts the doctor's path. "Please, wait."

"Kurosaki, I made a promise to not tell you about your mother. I don't plan on breaking that promise."

"What about my mother?" Ichigo studies Ryuuken's expression. "You know something I don't. What is it?"

"I can't-"

"Please," Ichigo begs without knowing. "Do you know what's it's like to watch someone die with no understanding as to why? Why them? Why me? Why not me?"

Ryuuken tries for an indifferent look, but his eyes become suspiciously haunted. Ichigo isn't one to read emotions, yet that is a tall tale sign he can't ignore.

"If you do, please. Help me understand," Ichigo says lowly.

Ryuuken fishes into his white coat for something. He pulls it out to reveal a card.

"This isn't the time for this conversation. Meet me at the park closest to this hospital at midnight. I'll answer all your questions then."

"What's this for?" Ichigo takes the card.