Prologue

"How much did you get?" Nero growled to Akira.

"A few bags of sovereign's and some Opium" Akira replied.

Nero gestured her to throw her findings onto the worn wooden table and patted down her shabby clothing,

"Do you think I'm hiding more?" She asked her untrusting husband.

He ran his large, soiled hands through his jet black cropped hair and regarded his wife with suspicion,

"You spent too long in that back room. What were you doing in there?" he snarled.

Akira looked away and could see Manson coming towards their cabin through the window,

"I was just making sure that we got the best of what was there, my love" she replied.

You see, Nero never trusted Akira.

Even when he took her as his mate, he was always unsure of her.

Nero became intrigued by Akira ever since she came running to his father's pack at age ten, as he could see that even though she looked like a meek child, she was intelligent and shrewd enough to find a new pack in the middle of nowhere by herself.

She was begging for sanctuary from a large group of humans, who were chasing her and his father instructed him to keep her safe,

"She is one of us now and we cannot see her come to no harm so you are to protect her like you would the others"

Nero's father, Galon, would always tell him this but even at sixteen years old, Nero was mature for his age and although he treated Akira like his younger sidekick when she first joined the pack, years later, he started to fall in love with her determined personality and unique beauty.

They would spend a lot of time together, hunting, reading, talking about new survival skills and Nero was constantly impressed with her unwavering purpose but as time went by he started to realise that he didn't really know her at all.

When they would go on hunting trips, just the two of them, he would ask her about her past but she would give vague stories of her upbringing and would always find a distraction to throw him off his questioning.

Whether it was a rabbit or deer, she would use her impressive hunting skills to divert his attention from her past to show what his future could be like with her as his mate.

But when Galon died six years later and Nero became the pack leader, even with his reservations, there was only ever one woman he wanted to be by his side and that was Akira.

However, throughout the years, their relationship changed and as pack members came and went so did Akira's interest in Nero and his anger and resentment began to surface.

Accusations of affairs, theft and purposely getting rid of his unborn children flew violently from Nero's mouth to a shocked and bemused Akira but no matter how much she protested, Nero would continue with his paranoid rants.

The pack also started to see and feel the affects of their suspicious leader and many left to start smaller packs in nearby towns, dwindling the pack size from thirty to ten.

Akira also disliked her husband's developing unhinged personality and tried to keep the pack together by taking on some of the lead roles herself,

"He's gone on a job but the last one didn't provide us with enough food for the night" the women complained.

"It's OK. Come to me and I will find you enough food for the next few days" Akira would promise and she always delivered – unlike he husband.

However, when Nero saw that the majority of the pack were going to her for instruction, food and counsel, he made a new rule – one that isolated Akira and the other females from the human world and having any control.

Nero stated that only the males in the pack would be permitted to leave the compound and the females would stay home and be housewives.

Akira did not like the developing changes to the roles of the females in the pack, especially this one and she refused to stay home and be a housewife, whilst the males went out and brought home the money and riches.

So, one night Akira went on her own mission – to break in and rob the local tavern and when she came back with more money and alcohol than the previous night's job, Nero was angry but also secretly impressed by his wife's bravery and allowed her to participate in their illegal gains.

Until now...

NOTE:

Thank you for taking the time to read this prologue!

To show your support I would love it if you could:

1. Follow me and receive instant updates when a new chapter is uploaded

2. Vote for this prologue (if you enjoyed it of course!)

3. Make a comment and leave me some constructive feedback (because I'm still a newbie who is still learning!)

Thanks everyone & have a great day (or night!) 😊