Chapter 17

"Are you ok?" Another pack member asked.

"Yes! Yes! I just haven't eaten in a while" Akira mumbled and ran towards the barn, leaving the two women looking at each on bewilderment.

A glowing light returned from beneath the barn door as Akira flung the heavy divide open and ran towards her baffled friend.

Avoiding the new fire Celina created, she grabbed the bemused woman and held her tightly.

"Are you ok?" Celina asked, trying to gain her breath back from the tight grip.

"I'm sorry, I'm just happy to see you're ok! Here, eat this" she replied, releasing Celina from her strong embrace and handed her the steaming bowl of meat stew.

"Why wouldn't I be ok? Has something happened?" Celina asked.

Akira sat her confused friend down on a haystack and looked into her hopeful eyes.

She took a deep breath, not wanting to reveal the truth but she knew she had no choice.

Celina put the bowl down at the side of her and held onto Akira's hands,

"What is it? You know you can tell me anything" she continued.

"They're going to kill you tomorrow" she reluctantly confessed and grabbed onto her friend again.

Celina pulled herself from the tight embrace and stroked her friend's face with a passive expression,

"I do not fear them, Akira! My only fear is losing you" she confirmed and kissed her petrified friend's lips.

The connection immediately started to push away all Akira's feeling of dread, panic and foreboding and replaced them with hope, determination and fortitude.

"How do you do that?" Akira asked with a relieved smile.

"It's magic!" Celina laughed and started eating the stew.

Akira looked at the chard spot on the floor with a heavy heart,

"Nothing can distract us from leaving tonight" she stated firmly and left Celina to enjoy her meal.

She walked out of the barn and looked around before setting off back to the camp fire.

Happy that Celina was safe for a while she glanced back at the barn and stopped dead in her tracks.

Her mouth dropped open in amazement as she couldn't take her eyes off the derelict building.

"What is going on?" She gasped and stepped back in awe.

A shimmering translucent cloak began to slowly cover the building from the ground up, enclosing it in a bright cocoon of light before disappearing into the midday air,

"Until tonight my love" a familiar voice echoed through her head.

It was Celina and she had created a protection barrier just in case Nero moved his plan forward.

Akira smiled at Celina's strength as she walked back to the camp fire feeling less anxious and more hopeful.

She joined the other women at the other side of the camp and settled in to enjoying her lunch.

"Galina, how is she?" One of the women shouted behind her.

The red haired pack member came over to the women and joined them as she slumped down, exhausted and weary from her time with Daya

She shook her head in despair before accepting a bowl of stew from the concerned woman and sipped a large spoonful of the warm and comforting sauce before replying,

"She is worried and won't stop crying. She is adamant something happened to him in barn and wants to talk to the captive".

Akira spat out a piece of meat in shock as the others regarded her with curiosity,

"I don't think that's a wise idea. She needs to rest for now" she tried.

The other women nodded in agreement and started to converse between themselves about how best to care for their distraught pack sister.

Using this distraction, Akira excused herself and cautiously headed to the back of Daya's cabin.

With her back to the cabin wall, she slowly made her way to the open bedroom window and peered in.

In the meagre room, instead of resting, she watched her friend frantically pace from one side of the room to the other, muttering to herself as she went through every possible scenario of what could have happened to her mate.

Akira slouched down and felt a pang of guilt in her stomach because she realised that no matter how much she hated Manson, he still loved Daya and had done since she joined the pack.

She took a deep breath and looked up to the clear midday sky.

Pigeons flew past and magpies followed as they went about the day, ignorant of what was about to happen.

Akira squinted her eyes tightly shut and raised one hand to the sky as she put the other just below the cabin window

She quietly cleared her throat and threw her head back,

"Daya, my friend, may this spell help to mend, your broken heart and not tear you apart. You will forget your pain and look for no blame. As you drift off to sleep and awake with peace".

A thin stream of grey light softly floated down from the sky and entered the Daya's bedroom.

Akira propped herself up to see if the spell had worked and smiled triumphantly as she watched the light shoot through her friends head, knocking her off her feet and levitating her into the double bed to the side of the room.

Unable to resist, Daya rolled over and drifted off into a deep sleep, leaving Akira to focus on busying herself around the camp for the rest of the day to keep her mind off the crucial night's events.

However, her mate had other ideas...

NOTE:

Thank you for taking the time to read this chapter!

To show your support I would love it if you could:

1. Follow me and receive instant updates when a new chapter is uploaded

2. Vote for this chapter (if you enjoyed it of course!)

3. Make a comment and leave me some constructive feedback (because I'm still a newbie who is still learning!)

Thanks everyone & have a great day (or night!) 😊