Chapter 12

Throughout her bravery, she didn't realise that the cracking sound had stopped and was suddenly replaced with a dripping hum.

Celina spun round, nervously looking around the barn to see what else was coming,

"It's melting!" She yelled.

The icy walls began to melt, creating a shower of water, soaking both women.

"This is it!" She screeched.

She excitedly walked over to her shivering friend and stopped to observe the piercing bones invert back into her shoulder blades.

Caught in the moment, Celina couldn't resist and softly stroked the remaining bones going back into place.

Akira swung round in fury and grabbed her by the wrists,

"What are you doing?" She growled.

"Trying to find out who I am developing feelings for" Celina said gingerly.

Confused and slightly agitated by her confession, Akira tried to gain some space between them and walked over towards a thawing Manson.

"Stop! Wait!" Celina screamed and ran at Akira with force.

She threw herself on her baffled friend as a thick shard of ice came crashing down from the ceiling, missing Akira by meters.

The large fragment smashed into pieces as it hit the ground, spraying shards of ice at the pair.

Celina wrapped herself over Akira, protecting her from the sharp pieces of ice.

The frozen shards ripped the back of her dress and her arms as Celina flinched at the stinging pain of her new injuries,

"You saved me!" Akira gasped.

Celina gave her a weak smiled, carefully climbed off her thankful friend and sat next to her.

Blood trickled down the back of her arms as Akira observed her cuts with concern,

"Please let me help you" she whispered and ripped the bottom of her dress.

"I'm fine" Celina tried.

Akira ignored her and wrapped the fabric around Celina's wounds carefully and looked at the soaking wet barn.

"Thank you and I meant what I said" Celina continued and stood up.

She held her wet hands down to Akira and she accepted the help to get up.

Celina stood in front of Akira and held onto her hands.

She gazed into her eyes as she watched them return to their original warming green tone and gave her welcoming smile.

Akira regarded Celina's hopeful stare with nervous intrigue and did not flinch or pull away when she began to rub her hands to warm them.

"What did you mean?" Akira asked, trying to cut the nervous tension.

Celina moved closer to her and whispered,

"I meant that although I have only known you a day, I feel like I have known you all my life. I immediately felt a connection that I couldn't explain and I know you felt it too in the woods".

Akira snapped out of her gaze and started pacing on the spot,

"I don't know what you mean" she mumbled.

Unfazed by Akira's obvious denial, she continued,

"Most people would try to run from what you just turned into but I didn't! I stayed! Doesn't that tell you that I care?"