Chapter 15

"Why is she wearing undergarments?" Another man whispered to an equally confused pack member.

They both shrugged their shoulders and started inspecting the damp barn for their friend.

Just as the men started to get close to the ash stained spot on the ground, Akira mustered up the energy and muttered,

"He went for a hunt and said he would be back soon".

One of the men started sniffing at the black mark on the ground and looked around with suspicion.

"What happened here?" He growled.

All eyes were on the women and Akira began to shudder.

"Keep calm" Celina whispered and stood up.

She stepped forward and stood in front of the bemused man.

Her confidence threw him off guard as he looked at the rest of the pack, subtlety impressed by the daring woman,

"I was cold so I started a fire" she coolly replied.

A silence swept across the barn, making the atmosphere unbearable as Celina waited for his response.

A bead of sweat dropped from her brow as she tried to maintain her composure and looked back at Akira for support.

Still shuddering, Akira carefully got up and walked to the side of her friend,

"Why do you need him so urgently?" She asked, rubbing her shoulders from the cool morning air.

Bahram stepped forward with a nervous look on his face,

"Nero went hunting at sun up and saw humans searching for -" he stated before getting cut off by the same man who smelt the chard spot,

"Her!" He pointed with grimace.

Celina regarded Akira with trepidation,

"How far away?" Akira continued, trying to mask her anxiety.

Her mind raced at how this new development would alter her escape plans and knew she needed to press them for more information without looking suspicious.

"At the entrance of the woods. Nero attacked and they retreated but it won't be long before they come looking for her again" Bahram mused before becoming distracted by a dark silhouette in the doorway.

They all looked round and followed his eye line,

"I need you all round the camp fire now! Where is Manson?" He yelled with urgency.

It was Nero and he did not look happy.

Akira looked at Celina with foreboding and stepped closer to her.

"He's gone hunting" Bahram replied to his frustrated cousin.

Tentative, Nero ran his hand through his dark locks with annoyance and ordered,

"You two go find him and the rest of you come with me!"

The two nervous men nodded quickly at the command and left the barn with haste to search for their fellow pack member.

The others followed their lead and headed towards the camp fire.

Muttering theories of what Nero was so panicked about to each other, Bahram stopped at the doorway and looked back,

"Are you coming, Akira?" He shouted.

Panic flashed from Celina's eyes as she silently begged her new friend not to leave her alone.