CHAPTER 8

"And to think that a black skin is doing that to his fellow black skin without shame or sympathy says alot" Echeta tackles in pain and disbelief of the mentality of people almost wanting to hit his starring as he does if angry while driving, but for respect he has for his father in-law to be he held back.

"Why are we like this! To think that you're uncle sir must have been among those attacking and blaming the colonial masters for the predicament of Africa in slave trade" added Echeta still raging

"It was the black man selling his people, the black skin to slavery. It never ceases to amaze me how people are quickly able to conclude that it was solely the white men that is to be blamed for the suffering of Africans." Okafor supports

"Same thing Heaven and i always talk about. People like to point fingers accussing so so and so for failures to taking responsibilities for their actions. I mean no doubt that certain things happen to one in life but thinking of a way out of it is better than the blaming game that people quickly resort to" Echeta states

"Totally agree with you son,that exactly was the thought that kept me pushing harder for survival all through my stay with my uncle's family. He had seven children and only two out of them were somewhat nice to me. The other five where as mean as their mother. Always ready to have something they could say to their mother about the people living with them to get them in trouble. My uncle stayed blind to every kind of maltreatment that was going on under his roof. There were times we got bullied by their children, my uncle and his wife will look away and stay mute. We kept feeding on left overs except for Christmas days" Ezeabata Okafor accurately kept to details as he continues.

"Do you know Echeta that the days you see us overjoyed with laughter in a year was only Christmas" he says with mixed emotions of tears and laughter.

"It was the only day you will probably not be beaten by my aunt, scolded by my uncle or bullied by their children.
That also like i said before is the day we don't eat stale or left over foods. In fact that is the only day you eat the same food my aunty serves her husband and children just that we eat at same spot were we eat while they eat at their own spot were they ate. Also it was the only day we ate rice and chicken the way we wanted Cheta. In a bit to deceive someone eating by your side ,you say 'hey are you seeing that big bird in the sky?' As they look up you quickly take a handful of your rice or two and put it in thier plate and quickly look away like you didn't do anything" describes Ezeabata Okafor in a jesculative manner still with outburst of emotions.

At this point as Echeta enjoys the story he concludes that his father in law is a beautiful soul the same way he describes his wife to be. He saw so much similarities between father and daughter and knew he is blessed to have cross paths with them. For him, they were soft hearted also they love and crave for togetherness in a home.

"That is the only day in a year, we waste food, despite the fact that after that day, you may go hungry and unsatisfied with little food to support yourself till next Christmas again." Says Ezeabata

Okafor extremely disturbed as he remembers his fight with his wife earlier on. Wishing Nkechi could see reasons why he doesn't want their children to think that life is very easy and you could get everything on a platter of gold He want his children while enjoying whatever rights and privileges from their parents to see that there are two sides to life and wether poor or rich, they should be ready to play survival of the fittest when life's challenges comes knocking.

"Are you fine sir, if you're getting troubled by this may be we should stop for now" asks Echeta touched by the mixed emotions Okafor is having

"Not a problem son" says Ezeabata forcing a smile.