CHAPTER 23

Olumide got back to his shop and everyone questions him concerning his whereabout but he hardly replied anyone as they told him he missed a lot of his customers. He started packing up his tools for work to head home, he was done for the day.

"Olumide you really took a long while. Is all well?" Asked his widowed landlady

"All hasn't been this well for me in a long while ma. I can finally say, i am ready to start life over again. I am glad Cheta came for me today." Replies Olu

"I told you he meant well. I am glad you went to speak to him, even i can see that you will never be the same again and i am happy for you. I believe you're going home now abi? See you on monday then. Bye says his widowed old landlady as she retires to her house.

"Odaro (good night in yoruba language) ma." Olu says with a satisfactory smile about to leave, he locks the iron doors to his shop.
--------------------------------------------------
Ezeabata sits outside most saturday evenings relaxing or excercising. He loves nature a lot, so much so that it seems the birds that comes to recline on the trees he has in his compound understood him well as these birds will after he sits, keep chirping and tweeting as though they were celebrating a long lost but found friend. So does his dog Randy, a very fierce, brown and black really hairy but a very beautiful animal to behold.

"Woof  woof" barks Randy at the sights of his master. Wagging his tail, he jumps and jumps in this stylish way that only he as a dog, knows best to celebrate his master who in turn loves him as much as he does him. Even the whole neighbourhood talks about the dog Randy and how unique he guards the master's house. Visitors always dreaded a visit to Ezeabata's compound because of his no nonsense dog.

"Agu!" (Tiger in igbo language) shouted Ezeabata which is what he refers Randy as. He keeps hailing Randy and the dog dances around Ezeabata also makes short jumps resting his hand on the master's waist. He keeps barking and Ezeabata says

"Gboba! Ezi nkita m! (bark my good and loyal dog) hails Ezeabata, petting his dog. Eventually the dog would gradually calm down after celebrating his master well enough. Ezeabata will call for some biscuit bones for Randy and his driver would bring some which Ezeabata would always instruct that he buys the best bones from the butchers at the market. Randy would sit and eat his meal.

Ezeabata will then turn to the tree and starts to hum as though he was responding to the birds chirping on it. This way it seems he is saying hello to them too. He finds peace in doing all these and he is like this too to the people around the neighbourhood.

There were times after he is done with the dog and the birds, he will go outside the gate of his compound and greet with neighbours, as many as saw him outside, sometimes will come with their problems, he will listen and as much as lies within him, he will help solve their problems whether monetary or otherwise. He finds peace in doing all these and much more. He also finds peace in God Who he worships, serves and reveres

"Where is your father Heaven?" Inquires Nkechi racing downstairs

"Mummy, your husband you mean" laughs Heaven who is on her way to the kitchen but stopped at the tail end of the stairs to answer her mum.

"I am not in the mood of your jokes" Provokes Nkechi

"Appreciate my sense of humour mumsy. Don't you think, it will be nice sometimes to hear you call him that. I have been with you and dad to events sometimes and dad will ask people when we are ready to leave "have you seen my wife?" Some other times when we are ready to leave and you are the one inquiring of him from people, you ask " have you seen daddy?" I find it awkward you know" says Heaven who desires to calm the mum down not knowing why she was hurriedly looking for Ezeabata.