One

Two years... Two years Liliana had been married to Michael and it wasn't a pleasant experience during that time, if she had been able to foresee what those two years would bring she knew that she wouldn't have gone ahead with the marriage and broken things off with him but she knew, in reality, it wasn't possible.

When they had started dating they had done what any other normal couple would do and were happy, even more as time moved on as Michael had asked her to marry him. At the time, she was overjoyed and overwhelmed with happiness and of course, she had said yes and agreed to marry him and so the wedding planning soon began.

Before long, a few months down the line the big day had arrived. The wedding was a small family affair and it was a day Liliana would never forget or at least she hoped it would be.

What seemed to be at the blink of an eye, they had soon been married for two years. During that time, both were happy and loved each other, but for Liliana that soon came to an end through no fault of her own.

Over weeks and months, she began to notice a change in Michael and one that she didn't like. His change in behaviour came to play a big role in what was yet to unfold, for most days during the week Liliana would say goodbye and watch him leave for work only to begin to realise and discover that he was starting to come home late and drunk.

At first, she thought that this was temporary and this was only some sort of one of thing almost like a phase he would grow out of... but how wrong she was about it all. As time progressed things had taken a turn and Michael had become worse, he had taken even more to drinking ending up losing his job and becoming an entirely different person a person she no longer recognised as the man she married.

It had started with the shouting and remarks but quickly started to change and before long Michael had begun to blame her for everything and anything and the angry he became over nothing.

For many hours Liliana could only endure it as he would push and hit using her like a rag doll and that was never the end.

~

Liliana remembers clearly many things that had happened even in her dreams and this was no exception.

With the curtains slightly parted and the wind carrying in a gentle breeze the partially open window Liliana lay in a dream-like state only to relive something she hoped she could forget but that was easier said than done.

Finding herself back in her old house in Ireland where she saw herself trying to get away from Michael. Running up the stairs and into the nearest room which happened to be the bathroom and locking the door, she listened as his footsteps were only ever getting closer.

Her heart began pounding in her chest, Liliana could only jump back in fear as he began furiously banging on the door trying to pry it open.

"Liliana I won't ask again come back I haven't finished talking to you open the door!".

As she listened to the tone of his voice she knew how angry he was but she couldn't move. Paralysed with fear she could only wait for the inevitable to happen, for a moment there was a pause of silence until seconds later the violently swung open breaking free from the lock.

Backed into a corner she had nowhere to go before Michael had taken her by the arm leading her out to the landing.

"I told you I am not in the mood for you to be playing these games."

Bracing herself, she waited for the hit to come but it never came..."

"No... No!