Chapter 13

Pain. 

Excruciating pain

She felt immense pain wrecking her limbs the moment she gained consciousness. Her skin was burning. She whimpered in agony when she tried to lift her leg and got struck with another stab of pain.

"Holy mother of Jesus Christ," she groaned, giving up on moving her legs altogether. 

"You are awake," her head snapped towards Jenna who was standing by the door. 

"Unfortunately, yes," she heaved with a sheepish smile. Jenna's brows furrowed, not liking her response. 

"What do you mean?" she narrowed her eyes at her

"It's hurting a lot," she replied. Jenna nodded in understanding. 

 "Considering you were hit by a car, it should hurt a little," she grabbed the thermometer from the table. 

"A little? It feels like a truck ra.." Jenna shoved the thermometer into her mouth. 

Jenna stood next to the bed, her fingers tapping the table rhythmically as she waited for the tool to record the temperature. 

"What were you trying to do by the way? Running carelessly on the street. You know your heroic act would have meant nothing if you had lost your life," she said slightly agitated. She roughly pulled the thermometer from her mouth, making no attempt to hide her annoyance. 

"Ouch," Ara rubbed her lips while scowling at her. 

"I was just trying to help that little boy," she responded

"By putting your life in line? You are running fever, 103," she read the temperature. 

"Is the boy safe?" she perked up as she remembered about the boy. Jenna rolled her eyes and grabbed the pill fro the table.

"Yes, he is safe and sound unlike you," she stressed on the last word as she handed her the medicine and the glass of water. 

Ara sighed, catching onto her cold vibes. She popped the pill and drank up the water.  

"What was I supposed to do then? The boy was all by himself in the middle of the road. The car would have crushed him to death if I hadn't intervened. He could have died, Jenna," she spoke softly, feeling dejected by her cold behavior. 

Jenna sighed and took the glass from her. Se put the glass on the table and sat over the edge of the bed. 

"I understand why you did that, Ary. But you just can't disregard your own life for others. It could have been much worse if the driver had not pushed the break on time. You could have died," she whisper-yelled the last sentence as she grabbed her hands.

She pulled both her lips between her teeth and nodded her head in understanding.      

"Now, I am going to bring you porridge and you are going to finish it without any complain," she got to her feet. 

Her expression soured the moment she heard porridge. 

"Can I get something else, please?" she whined

"Sure," her expression brightened up. "How does spinach soup sound?" Jenna smiled evilly at her

Her face fell more than before.

"I meant something edible," she grumbled

" I am sorry but this is all you get. Mr. Serrano has specifically instructed me to follow your doctor's instructions," she replied.

Ara's brows shot up to her hairline when she heard it. 

"Mr. Serrano?" she prompted, confused. Why on earth would he be bothered by her health. And is he back already?