8: Here We Go

"It is time," Tareq said when the last of his siblings took their seats at the table for dinner.

"Ok everyone. Please for quiet. Today I finish big project for work and for myself." Tareq rose with his glass of wine and his family got quiet.

"For work, I finish the final leasing for the resort spaces. We have restaurants and services all set for the projects in Arizona. I get the spa for both and the restaurants complete. We are set once construction is complete." Tareq beamed and earned proud looks from both of his parents.

"And the personal project?" His mother raised an eyebrow. She was likely used to knowing things before the others were told.

"Yes. Is most important. You know I have trouble getting the coffee shop spaces for both projects because the Starbucks want major concessions. So I contact the franchise owner of the Muffin Manor where my baby work." Tareq leaned down and kissed my head.

"You what?" I looked up in surprise.

"He is interested when I offer him to open two new franchise location in our projects. Both resorts will have a new Muffin Manor at half the cost Starbucks wants! Is huge win! The project manager is pleased." Tareq was grinning ear to ear.

"You talked to Mr. Shenley?" I'd only met him a few times when he came in to check on things.

"Yes and I tell him you are very excited about the company. He says you are his best worker. He agrees to extend your time off for one month with job protection. So you do not need to return home so soon! And your job is safe! You have no worries and stay here with us! Is extra bonus!" Tareq was so excited.

"A month?" I looked over to see his mom staring flaming darts in my direction.

"A month with my boy. Will give you time to stay and know my family, my people, my culture." Tareq read my face and his smile faded.

"A month." I repeated. I liked him so much. I loved him, in fact. But I knew things couldn't work out between us. His mom was right. My home was not here.

"A month... my sweet boy. You are happy for this news, yes?" He looked at me with so much expectation that I forced a smile.

"Yeah, yes of course." I looked over at his mother and shrugged helplessly.

"My dear. He has his family and friends in Arizona. He is too young to be away from them for so long. He's just a boy and clearly misses home." His mother jumped in.

"We can invite them. Dylan is good for Tareq. He has been focused and stable. He was even on time for his meetings today and closed out two projects. He has chosen a boy to care for, and I approve." Tareq's father interjected.

"Of course, dear. I am only thinking of the boy's well being." She added more in Arabic. I guess she didn't dare cross her husband.

"Yes. We will plan fun things. It will be great for all." Tareq sat back down and kissed my cheek then put his arm around me.

The rest of the dinner was in Arabic. I ate some of what was on my plate, but I had too much going on in my head. His siblings made no attempts to address me.

We got back to his space in the back house when I decided we needed to talk about this.

"You can't work special deals with my boss like that. Everyone at work will have to cover those shifts and they'll be mad that I get to just come back like nothing happened." I told him when he closed the door.

"Of course you can. Is perk of being my boy. You are not happy to stay here?" Tareq looked at me with sad eyes.

"Of course I want to be with you, but I'm a little home sick. No one wants me here but you. This isn't going to work out. You know that." As soon as the words left my lips I regretted them.