14: Friends and Bodyguards

"Seriously, Dyl. I know you barely got a D in biology, but even you know that a pregnancy is not possible." Wes was not buying our explanations. He kept saying it was something Tareq convinced me of to trap me here.

"You will watch the video," Tareq said with a sigh. We sat on his couch while Wes took the big chair across from us. We showed him the video Dr. Rammat had us watch in his office.

"This is just too weird. Ok? Maybe I just need some sleep. I can't." Wes raised his hands like he was checking for rain.

"Yes. Of course. We will show you to your room." Tareq got to his feet and offered me his hand. I took it and gripped it firmly. I had no words to make this better or make Wes understand.

"I love you, Dyl. But c'mon. This is too much," Wes whispered to me as we walked across the courtyard.

Tareq had sent Reyk away for the night so he was likely in his room or exploring the grounds. He seemed very much in love with this estate.

"Just promise me you'll keep an open mind. We'll talk more tomorrow." I hugged him as we got to his room. Tareq opened the door to a palatial suite with a huge bed and bathroom.

"Holy woah! This is nice." Wes dropped our drama when he saw the beautiful room.

"We will leave you here. There is water and snack bars if you get hungry in the night. Please dial zero on the phone for any needs." Tareq pointed to a side table that had a basket with water and food.

"This is the life. I'd even have your baby to stay here," Wes joked.

"You're all awake! Why up so late? Dylan should be in bed." Reyk's voice sounded from the hall. I remembered that his room was next door.

"We were showing Wes to his room. I will have him in bed shortly." Tareq nodded at Reyk who came right into Wes' room without invitation.

"It is important that Dylan is kept from any anxiety or excitement." Reyk looked at Wes when he said this.

"You mean for the baby." Wes laid on the sarcasm.

"Of course. Healthy babies come from peaceful routine. He should also be on a regular sleep schedule and it is nearly 11." Reyk went into monitor mode. He was hired to get us on a good path, and his tone showed he was up to the task.

"He is right. We say goodnight now." Tareq pulled my arm gently. 

"This is too weird, but you know I love you. Let's assume this is true for tonight because I am exhausted. Whatever is going on, you know I have your back and we will figure this out." Wes came to hug me goodnight.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." I hugged Wes and then Tareq nudged me towards the door. We went back to our room and got ready for bed.

+++--+++

Tuesday morning we met up for breakfast with Mr. and Mrs. Zakar in the morning room.

"Your house is amazing! Thank you so much for inviting me." Wes showed his manners when he came in. He was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Tareq had warned him to dress with modesty in this country.

"You are most welcome to stay here as long as you wish. My children are grown and the space can be too much for us." Mr. Zakar greeted him warmly.

Reyk had already greeted them before Tareq and I arrived. He was on schedule and dressed in a button-up dress shirt and nice pants. We all sat down and the kitchen staff brought in the food.

"What do you boys have planned for today?" Mrs. Zakar asked.

"We should do something fun." I looked at Tareq who was dressed for work. He had a meeting this morning with new investors.