9: The Procedure

"What kind of doctor is this? And what is going on with that dude over there?" I whispered and pointed towards the couple.

An older Arab man helped the younger Asian guy with the belly to sit in a seat and then went up to address the nurse. The younger guy had the most peaceful smile on his face as he looked down at his stomach and rubbed it gently.

"I explain when we go back. I need that the doctor make sure you are ok." Tareq stood as the door opened and a nurse came out to nod at us.

"No. You tell me first. What is this?" I stayed in my seat. Something was up.

"Please." Tareq knelt in front of me and put his hands on my knees. "This explain everything. You come with me, my love."

I didn't move. I stared him down, not sure what to do.

"I do not want to carry you, but I will. Is imperative the doctor see you. Please, my love." Tareq leaned down to push his nose between my thighs. "Please."

"Ok. Let's go." I looked up to see the nurse still waiting for us in the doorway.

The nurse took us back, weighed and measured me, and then put us into a smaller room with the usual doctor setup. I sat up on the paper-covered leather bench while Tareq paced around. He didn't say a word. I didn't either. We just stayed like that until a man popped his head into the room with a big smile.

"Hello! I am Dr. Rammat." A dark man in a crisp white coat and dark suit came in and shook Tareq's hand as he looked at me with that smile that said something big was happening.

"What's happening to me? What is this place?" I was not here for greetings.

"You did not see the website?" The doctor looked at me with curiosity.

"He does not know any of this." Tareq said without looking at me.

"Anything? But it's started? You didn't inform him?" The doctor's face fell as his smile melted into anger.

"No one informed me of anything. What's going on?" I looked between them, searching for answers.

"The short story is, you are likely pregnant. I will check of course, but you are having symptoms, and the pills are quite effective. The fail rate is very slim." Dr. Rammat came over and put on his stethoscope to listen to me.

"No, seriously. Why am I here? I'm not pregnant. I'm a dude. I was born with male parts. It's not possible." I was getting pissed off at this weird situation.

"Yes. You are male. That's why we needed the medication. You really should watch the video on the website. It will explain things." The doctor moved to a screen on the wall and tapped it. 

He brought up a video showing two men sitting at a table with waves crashing over a beach behind them. The taller man had his arm around the smaller one. 

Tareq came and sat behind me on the bench while the video began to play:

"We wanted so much to have a baby that was ours. We had surrogates and egg donors, but the baby would be one of ours, not both. We thought that was our only option." The picture expanded to show a small boy playing with blocks next to them.

"It was the miracle we never thought possible. We were lucky to find Dr. Sulemon and his clinic. We met a community of men in our position. We were able to meet with actual patients and see healthy, happy babies. To know my husband could not only help create our child, but also to carry him... A boy with both of our DNA. It was a miracle." The second man said.

"The procedure was safe. We had a monitor at every step to tell us what was going on and help us through." The first man laid his head on the second man's shoulder.