22: The Caged Pet

"Thank you so much for the gift basket! It was so generous. Your letter meant a lot to me." I told Mrs. Zakar.

"It's the least I could do. I was harsh with you. I feel guilty for this and I am sorry." She looked so much weaker, smaller then when I'd walked away from her at the restaurant.

"This is for you." I handed her the envelope for the card we got at the stationary store. "For both of you." I nodded at Mr. Zakar who looked pleased that I was accepting his wife's apology.

"Oh thank you!" She showed the envelope to her husband and then opened the unglued cover. I don't like the taste of envelope sealer.

She pulled out the card I'd picked, a cartoon picture of an older but stylish lady holding a baby. It said "Congratulations Grandmother" in Arabic. Inside it had a picture from the scan of the two little bean shapes that would grow into our babies... or baby. It was still unclear how many we were having.

"Oh they're beautiful!" She caught her breath and started to tear up.

"We don't know if it's one or two babies. If it's two, we don't know if they'll both make it... I'm pretty freaked out about it. I was so freaked out to even be pregnant and now I can't lose them," I admitted.

One of my friends from high school told me to never confess my feelings to someone who'd shown they don't care, but I couldn't help myself. I felt like this situation was beyond my capacity and I had two competent adults in front of me.

"Come and sit, please. You can talk to us." Mr. Zakar led me to his office. 

Tareq followed silently but kept my hand in his.

They sat me in the middle of a couch and each parent sat on either side of me with Tareq sitting on the coffee table in front of me. They listened and assured me that they would use every resource to make sure things went as best as they possibly could. I knew that Tareq's dad cared deeply, and his mom assured me she would be there for whatever I needed. I felt better after it.

We had a nice dinner together at a small table. They had so many different dining areas for whatever the mood of the meal. Their house literally seemed to grow to fit their needs. Tareq's parents told me stories about him as a kid and it felt like we were starting to bond.

"I notice you still wear the ring Tareq gave you. Does this mean you wish to marry him?" Mr. Zakar asked when we finished eating.

"Dylan will think on it. I ask him to keep the ring on as reminder of how he feel. He knows I am commit to him," Tareq explained.

"It is very good benefit for you and the child though." Mrs. Zakar looked at me with that smile older adults give you when they're asking a favor.

"It is. It just feels really permanent." I nodded my head in agreement.

"A baby together is more permanent," she responded.

"True, but no one asked if I wanted to get pregnant." I laughed though it wasn't a joke.

"Yes... and we are very thankful that you decided to not denounce our son for his crime. We only want that you and the child will have the protection and benefits of our family name." She reached over and put her hand on mine.

"Dylan will decide. We can't push him." Mr. Zakar stopped her.

"I will always take care of you and my son... or sons. I already commit to you. The wedding will be when you are ready to commit to me. I know you are mine." Tareq put his arm around me.

It was a lot to think about. He was right and I did want our family to be together.

"Whatever you decide. You always have a home here." Mr. Zakar ended the topic.