42: Catching Up

"There's our Ahmed. See? 20 weeks and he is a healthy, perfect boy. He's growing so quickly now. He knows the time is near... Almost, little one. He is moving quite a bit this morning... Oh, he waves! Hello, new life." Dr. Rammat pointed to the screen with glee.

"He waved! He looks happy. I keep having the worst dream that he gets lost inside me, like we show up and you can't find him on the scope and he's lost in there and freaked out not knowing how to find me." I put my hands on my stomach and gave the baby a rub of relief.

I spent most of my days with my hand there, feeling his gentle hum and occasional movements. He slept a lot, but when he got in the mood to explore, I could feel every stretch. I'd gently trace my finger in different spots and sometimes he'd reach out an appendage to give me a high five. He'd always know I was on his team.

I had one month to go before they'd do the procedure and transfer baby Ahmed to the incubation pod where he'd spend as long as two months until he could survive on his own. He'd grown so big inside me that even the bulky sweaters Reyk had picked out for me a few months back couldn't hide him entirely.

"You are tiny boy. Is not that he has much place to hide! We know where he is," Tareq laughed.

Tareq had changed so much in the month we'd been married. He was no longer afraid I would try to head home and the criminal investigation into him by Ms. Hassan was long behind us. He was back to the confident leader I'd fallen for six months ago in Arizona.

"Everything looks good. Dylan is keeping up with his exercise and nutrition. Our Ahmed will be ready for his pod life in just a few more weeks. I'll print a few pictures for the family to see. Have you spoken with your aunt in Arizona yet? You should send her a photo." Dr. Rammat moved to the printer behind the screen.

"No. We are almost finished and at this point it would just be easier to wait until he's born and tell her we used a surrogate with an egg from a woman who looked like me." I sighed.

"We do not wish she will panic," Tareq added.

"You do realize the clinic now has added measures to meet with and obtain signed consent forms from both parties before issuing the medication to begin the procedure. The judge ordered it to avoid future situations like yours. I believe they're naming it the Zakar form." Dr. Rammat looked at Tareq with displeasure.

Tareq nodded silently and moved towards me as Dr. Rammat released me from the scanning chamber.

We'd spent so long hiding things. We'd been through so many lies and so many trials. But every time I touched and felt the life growing inside me, I knew it was worth it. I knew I'd forgiven Tareq for his deceit. I was so ready to meet my Ahmed, so ready to hold him, nurse him, love him.

We finished up the exam and Dr. Rammat gave us the printed pictures in a large white envelope.

The clinic had our names printed as "Mr. and Jr. Tareq Zakar - Baby: Ahmed Nasaan."

When we registered with the Satran Crown after our wedding, there were options. We could choose Mister and Mister, signifying two individuals who identified as males of equal status; or Mister and Junior, signifying two individuals who identified as male but one was under the protection and responsibility of the other. The Junior option was not uncommon here with the high rate of foreign marriages. It was recommended that non-citizens choose this on their forms.

Tareq explained that since I was not from Satra and did not speak Arabic or know the customs here that it would be best to register as his junior so his family would be responsible for anything I might need. I certainly felt like his junior.

This meant that in this society, I was under his protection. I had to watch an hour-long informational video on it and take an online test afterwards to show I'd paid attention to give informed consent. If encountering police or government officials, Tareq would be contacted and he would handle matters.