XI: Introduction

John traveled the halls as he saw many different guards walking and standing around, as well as many more scientists than guards.

A number of them giving John odd looks as they walked by each other, making John feel embarrassed.

He kept walking but he kept seeing weird people in orange suits. He felt curious as to what it is they do since he's new here. What caught his attention the most was someone carrying a cardboard box that had sharpie writing on it saying, "Here be dragons".

His eyes were spiraling side to side to see plenty of different situations going on within every hallway they passed. Unknowingly however he bumped in behind the scientist he was following by accident as they had come to a stop.

The scientist looked behind them to see John who looked sorry and felt a little embarrassed. The scientist didn't take things the wrong way and could understand a little accident, then stepped to one side for John to see a door ahead of him that they had lead him to.

Inside was a row of a few seats, a guard standing by a film projector, and the room was dimly lit up by one single light on the ceiling.

Scientist: Have a seat.

John took his seat as he calmly sat down, unknowingly waiting as to what is to come next. The scientist kept flipping page back to page on the clipboard as they looked that they had no idea what to do normally. It ain't even their job to do this sort of thing. They just unfortunately got tangled into it.

The guard patiently checked their watch but expected more new recruits to be in the room than just John.

Guard: Wasn't there supposed to be more than... 1?

Scientist: I didn't ask to be put on this job. I'm doing what I can!

They looked back at John, who was sitting there patiently as he watched them flip through the pages. Making eye contact in the moment, he only gave a small wave.

Scientist: Okay. Says here your name is John Smith, 17 years of age, school graduate, and.....

The scientist flipped over the page to try and find more info on him but found none for his curiosity. John rubbed the back of his neck as he faced to one side.

Scientist: That's it? I-I mean, uh... Okay, okay, y'know what, that doesn't matter anyway. Let's get with the basics now shall we.

The guard standing at the side stretches their face downward with their hand and their eyes closed angerly as they nod disappointedly on their terrible start of the assessment.

Scientist: Question: What made you want to become one of our facility's guards?

John: I suppose that would have to do with my, uh, dad.

Scientist: Tell me about that subject.

John: Um... W-well he fought in the military. When I was little I dreamt of being like my dad. Fighting for your home, keeping people safe. A-at least, thats what I imagine it's all about.

Behind the board, the scientist was writing down John's explanation for his character, but couldn't help but lower the board a little to how their eyes could be visible but were also shown a hinted look of confusion or disagreement.

Their eyes shifting to the side to look at the guard who had close to a same expression but returned to one that shows no sense of it. After what John had said for why he joined here, they weren't sure if this was meant for him. But they couldn't just send him out now.

Scientist: I... I doubt coming here to work as one of our security guard was your first choice, since you say you wanted to be like your father in the military.