Lazy Preparations

A young boy with a mop of black hair that sat atop his head was intently focused on what was in front of him. The carriage shook from the gravelly roads making his mouth twitch every once in a while. You could faintly discern the rosy cheeks in the dim light.

Kenji out of instinct lifted a hand to lift the curtains exposing a small ray of morning light but was stopped quickly by a little hand. "No," Yuuma breathed continuing to grip the hard-covered book with both hands.

"But it's not good to read in dark light," Kenji rejected the idea with a frown.

Nevertheless, Yuuma didn't cave in and continued to study. If he was quite honest he hadn't studied for anything on the exam and only now decided to flip through some study guides the school handed out to every family with a golden spoon. He wasn't even a quarter to the academy before drooping down in a puddle of boredom. Before long he had a nap on the plush cushions of the velvet seats.

"Young master we've arrived."

Yuuma blinked awake with a small pout wanting to sleep some more. They had gone far to early in the morning when the sun had just touched the dewy grass of last night's chilly breeze. He hadn't even woken anyone besides his butler because Yuuma thought that it was best to go discreetly. How tiring this plan was.

With a rise and puff of his chest, he hazily left the carriage almost slipping if not for the butler to steady him. His footsteps faltered in an unnatural zigzag way expressing dramatically this poor sleepy child.

Yuuma was about to grumble for Kenji to hold him out of pettiness but heard many voices the more they neared giant gates. Finally, Yuuma opened his eyes to what lay before his peripheral vision. Many carriages were lined up like cars in a traffic jam all parking closest to the giant marble blue gates. Yuuma stopped to gaze around, Kenji understandingly stopped to wait.

The gates that reached far into the sky incasing an unknown spectacle glowed a faint blue and when Yuuma slightly tilted to it, it appeared to hum in his ears. He was immediately enticed by the strange sound and went to place his palm on the flat surface. It gave a cool feeling and somehow Yuuma knew this has something to do with magic because what else would a school meant for magic not have magical gates!?

Yuuma slightly shook his head and began to walk towards the entrance. A crowd had formed there with children, adults, and servants all waiting anxiously, excitedly, or happily. A range of mixed emotions. He even recognized a few children from the seven families but they weren't friends so Yuuma didn't bother to give a greeting. The buzz of whispers and chatter was like grinding sand to a cheese grater, it wasn't pleasant. Yuuma gave a sigh and closed his eyes, having mastered the perfection of sleeping while standing along with the mastery of sleeping in a crowd, he used his skills with charisma.

"Isn't he the Oxblood heir?"

"I wonder what performance he'll get!"

"Surely he's very talented if he's from the Oxblood family."

"Have you not heard!?"

"What?"

"There's a rumor that an accident occurred to the Oxblood heir and he's no longer able to perform magic."

Gasps were heard as the murmured words created a stir among the crowd. Many couldn't believe what they were hearing and asked several times if it were true. The hushed rumors just expanded this idea of Yuuma's relation to the Oxblood. Since he looked nothing like the previous Oxblood generations, even his parents, there were always the lurking rumors of affairs. Even so, the crowd was a bit dejected when the little master showed no signs of movement like a standing buddha. Perhaps the boy was praying to a god so that he can pass his exam?

Only the butler who stood protectively by his side knew of what his young master might be thinking. But no, he didn't clearly because Yuuma was actually asleep. He didn't hear the rumors nor the critical replies and even if Yuuma did he wouldn't have cared.

Kenji is still new to the Yuuma he sees today so even if he makes a logical guess it won't be near as accurate as seeing it for himself. At this point, Kenji can't predict the boy's actions. He felt a little embarrassed at this prospect but decided to put those thoughts away and remind himself that he's a thirty year old adult who knows better than a spoiled rich kid. Kenji knew deep down he might've not been truthful with himself.

Suddenly Kenji heard a harsh reply to a comment about Yuuma and shot a knifed glare, stabbing at them. It was a chubby boy around Yuuma's age probably taking the exam. Once they made eye contact the boy froze and turned around like he hadn't just said those disgusting words in a public place, in front of the young master! When Kenji knew for sure the chubby boy was frozen in fear he alarmingly and carefully looked at Yuuma in worry. But Yuuma's face didn't even quiver neither showed a hint of change in the forevermore peaceful carefree expression. His breathing was even and soft as if hearing and seeing nothing from the world he lives before in. A river that moved so fast it didn't look like it was moving at all, a clear and freshwater stream nonchalantly moving with whatever the world has to offer in its path, no clear shape or size, just a puddle of sereneness, unshaken by its natural form and anything around it.

Kenji sighed in relief.

-

A/N- This is a bit short but I'm trying to update every Wednesday.