Chapter 4

"You unpack, I'll be right back," Dick said with a warm smile, following Tim and shutting the door behind him.

- - -

Dick followed Tim halfway down the stairs before glancing back at Billy's new bedroom, shaking his head in an attempt to get the worry from his mind. 

He clambered onto the banister and slid the rest of the way down, leaping off and landing perfectly as Tim stepped off the last stair. His younger brother simply rolled his eyes and continued walking into the study.

The pair came in to find Bruce leaning against his desk, Damien scowling at the floor with his arms crossed and a sour look on his face, and Jason sharpening a knife absently and leaning against a table.

"What's up Bats?" Dick asked, breaking the tense silence of the room as they walked in.

Bruce gave him an unimpressed look. "Exactly that."

The eldest 'Wayne' glanced at Tim in confusion. Tim shrugged, looking back at Bruce. "What do you mean?" Dick asked, tilting his head slightly.

"Billy's going to stay upstairs," Bruce said with a sigh. "He's not to know about anything bat-related. That means no more costumes in the house," he said, giving Jason a pointed look. "No mission talk," he looked at Tim. "And no telling him who you are in an attempt to show off." He glared at Damien. The boy scoffed in response.

"Then why is he even here if he's no use to us?" Damien asked, looking up at his father.

"Aw, come on, baby bird, don't be like that- Billy doesn't have to be 'of use to us' to be a part of the family," Dick said, a small smirk aimed towards the current Boy Wonder. 

Damien simply rolled his eyes, Jason copying the movement.

"Well, it's not like he's actually part of the 'family'. Pennyworth brought him here, after all, so he's his problem." Damien said with a roll of his eyes. The elder sons gave him a trio of looks and Bruce simply sighed.

"That's not true, Damien. Alfred may have brought him here, but I've known since the moment he told me about William that he'd be joining us," he said, leaning back in his chair. 

"You're going to have to get along, one way or another."

Damien tsked, throwing his head to the side and scowling.

"Bruce, just how do you plan on keeping him 'strictly upstairs'? This whole Bat thing kind of takes up a lot of your free time. You really think he's knot gonna notice that his new foster dad is never around?" Jason asked, pausing in his sharpening to raise a brow at the Billionaire.

"I mean it is kind of ridiculous for him to not at least know. It'd keep him from worrying about us if we just vanish for days on end," Tim added.

"Or, it could make him worry even more. He can't be out there with us, so what's to stop him from panicking when we're gone for longer than expected?" Bruce countered, looking around at his boys.

"No, he- he's too young. Dick, you were probably too young when you first started, Damien, the only reason you're Robin is that you've- you've been trained. Were you not you wouldn't be Robin. Billy- he's just a normal kid. We are going to keep it that way, is that clear?" he asked, standing up.

The boys made sounds of acknowledgment and Bruce nodded once. "Good. Jason, I need you to cover Damien and I's patrol for tonight- I need to make sure Billy warms up to this place. Dick, do you mind helping me with that?"