Chapter 25

"If his door is locked, you leave him alone," Tim said, eyes back on his tablet. Jason gave him a look and continued towards the door, only to hear the younger raven clearing his throat. "I mean it, Todd."

- - -

Billy made a beeline towards his room, bounding up the stairs in a hurry. He turned the corner, sneakers skidding on the smooth hardwood before he threw open his door and ran inside. 

Damien gave him a narrowed-eyed look from down the hall, but he ignored it in favor of shutting and locking his bedroom door behind him. He went to the loose board beside his bed, pulling it up and digging around for his communicator.

Guilt gnawed at his insides at the sight of the various calls and messages that were brought up when he turned the device on, but he ignored them in favor of messaging Cyborg. 

He'd seen the man standing in the background and searching through a hologram, and he was sure he'd seen Billy as well.

YOU: On my way to Belle Reve. See if you can stall Zatanna for me?

VIC 🏈: I'll try, but Supes and WW are pretty gung-ho about everybody moving out ASAP.

YOU: Thanks, that's all I ask.

Billy pocketed the device and pushed his window open, clambering out and following the path he had last time- narrowly avoiding swinging right in front of Dick's window.

Again.

He dropped into the grass and glanced back at the manor before taking off. He looked for some kind of cover, making his way towards the forest that neighbored one side of the manor. 

Upon finding a clearing, Billy set his communicator on a rock and took a few steps back.

His heart was pounding in his chest and a chill went down his spine. It'd been nearly a week since he'd transformed, something he hadn't done since he first got his powers two years ago. 

Adrenaline pounding in his core, his spread his feet and threw back his head. The sky was cloudy and dark- normal for Gotham, he supposed, and lucky for him- and smiled. No one would notice a random lightning strike with a sky like this.

"SHAZAM!"

- - -

Damien narrowed his eyes at the sight of Billy barrelling up the stairs, nearly slipping on the polished floor, and glancing at him before slamming his door shut and locking it. 

The raven raised a brow, abandoning his plan to put honey in Jason's pillow to walk up to the 10-year-old's bedroom door. It was quiet inside, no sounds of sobbing or distress, so at least no one had done anything stupid to upset him.

Since when did he care if someone upset Billy? Ugh. He was getting soft.

Damien pressed his ear against the door, listening for some kind of snickering or giggle. Maybe he'd convinced Grayson or someone to play hide and seek with him. When he heard nothing except the sound of the boy's window opening, Damien's suspicion grew. 

Sneaking out again, so soon after he got into trouble the first time? Bold. A spark of respect bloomed in the kid-assassin's chest, backing away from the door at the sound of footsteps pounding up the staircase.