Chapter 32

- - -

Despite what Constantine might think, he knew Batman could handle himself- they all could.

- - -

Batman furrowed his brow when the Captain suddenly hung up on him- considering the man's voice cut out halfway through his sentence, he was sure it hadn't been on purpose. 

The Dark Knight simply called him again, though the communicator rang for a considerably longer time than before. When the demigod did finally pick up, the first thing Batman heard was shuffling, like the device wasn't being held next to a face.

"I think... Felix and Morgaine are...well, I think they're trying to summon some kind of deity. I remember you said something about my pantheon, and that checks out if divine magic really is involved, but Morgaine doesn't draw power from the Greek Gods. She's an arcane user, she draws from nature and eldrich spirits."

Captain Marvel sounded unsure of himself. Bruce wasn't sure if he'd meant to answer the call, so he stayed quiet.

There was more shuffling, and Bruce could hear Constantine talking to Marvel. "Yeah, I know. This is redundant inform...and I both know she's an arcane user," he said, some of his words being drowned out by the Captain's shuffling.

So he had meant to answer; the demigod was simply keeping that fact from John. Bruce couldn't help the small smirk that appeared in the corner of his mouth- sure, he may be annoyed and frustrated with the man for his late absence, but at least he was clear where his loyalties lied.

The Dark Knight heard Captain Marvel sigh before continuing.

"If Felix Faust really is connected, that could be the 'higher power' he's referring to. An actual higher power. One of the Gods."

"And?"

"I think that magic that I couldn't figure out in the cell is that God's. I think that, somehow, one of the Gods is channeling their magic through Felix or Morgaine or something, in order to give them the power to summon them to Earth."

Bruce furrowed his brow at the info- sure, he wasn't one to immediately believe in magic if that was the first option, but Captain Marvel wasn't usually one to suggest something as fact unless he was at least 95% sure it was true. 

It was something Bruce had noticed a long time ago- the man would hardly ever speak up in a huddle, only supplying information that always turned out to be true.

It was part of the reason the Captain was his first choice when it came to magical problems; for as magical a deity he may be, he was much more grounded in reality than someone like Dr. Fate or Zatanna, who relied solely upon magic for problem-solving.

"Looks like we're headin' to Gotham then," he heard John say, causing him to tense up. Metas in his city were one thing- sorcerers were another.

"Yeah..." Cap replied, and Bruce could almost feel the tension in his voice. He had to know Batman heard that. "...looks like it," he said before the call very deliberately ended.

Bruce sighed, bringing a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose. So the Captain and John were coming to Gotham to take on even more sorcerers hiding out in his city, and the Captian was giving him a heads up. 

Peachy

He stood up, glancing up at the large monitor before heading for the elevator.

He was going to need backup.