Chapter 20

Yeah, okay, he wanted Batman to come save him now.

- - -

Jason paced in front of the bat computer anxiously, rubbing his wrists raw as he stared at the floor in front of him. Bruce had made a call for the demon brat but hadn't given them anything else- He, Dick, and Tim were waiting in the cave for them to get back. 

The young man grit his teeth- Robin being called into action could only mean trouble, which meant Batman was out and working, which meant that there was trouble. 

Where did that put Billy?

He paused and ran his hands through his hair roughly, a tight growl coming from his mouth. "This waiting is gonna kill me," he said, shooting a glare towards Tim, who was leaning nonchalantly against the Bat Computer's mainframe with a tablet in his hands. 

For some idiotic reason, Replacement was refusing to tap into security cameras for the mall, and was being cryptic as hell about his reasons.

Dick was currently leaning against his arms at the desk, his head buried in his hands. They were all worried about the kid- well, maybe Tim wasn't, but it wasn't like he'd spent any time with the squirt, so what would he know. Jason piked up his helmet that he'd kicked a few minutes earlier, gripping it tightly. 

"I'm going to the mall." he grit out, walking past his brothers towards his motorcycle.

"Slow down, Todd. You're running around half-cocked. Batman and Robin can handle this," he said, giving the elder man a stern look.

Jason ripping his arm free of Tim's grasp. "Billy's out there, with them, and we have zero information on what's going on. I am not letting that kid get hurt on our watch, replacement," he growled, shoving his helmet on his head. Tim rolled his eyes and let out a sigh.

"Trust me, Billy can handle himself, you idiot. Don't you have any self-control?"

"You know what, just cause he's a street kid, doesn't mean he can go toe-to-toe with someone like Penguin or Riddler," Jason growled back angrily, about to set off into a whole rant when the sudden sound of screeching tires caught the trio's attention.

Three heads turned towards the entrance to the cave, where headlights were quickly approaching. That wasn't a good sign, unless Bruce told Billy who he really was. Jason tensed, pulling off his helmet and holding it tightly in one hand.

Bruce climbed out of the Batmobile and pulled off his cowl, walking swiftly past the boys and sitting down in the chair Dick had previously been. His fingers moved across the keys and a map of Gotham appeared on the screen as Damien climbed out of the car and jogged after the man to stand behind him.

"Where's-"

"We think one of the Joker's henchmen got him." Bruce said, his words clipped and emotionless. Jason knew that tone- he was worried, genuinely worried. Jason felt the pit of his stomach sink, and he dropped his helmet on the floor with a clatter. 

Dick put a hand on his shoulder and glanced at their father.

"What happened...?"

Bruce stayed quiet, so Damien glanced back at them. "Joker and Harley Quinn. They attacked the mall Father and Billy were at. Joker thought Billy was me, so Father called me in to distract him. We think one of his henchmen swooped him up before father could get to him."