Chapter 38

- - -

Bruce let out a breath before squaring his shoulders and looking around at the group. "Alright- let's get to work then."

- - -

John closed the portal once the bat clan was through, letting out a shaky sigh once the light vanished. "She's already causing damage," he muttered.

Billy nodded slowly. "Yeah..."

"Let's get to Alpha," the blonde said, his voice tense as he turned on his heel and walked out of the room. Chas glanced down at the 10-year-old before looking at the place John had been standing previously.

"Best we follow him," he said softly before doing just that.

The trio made their way down the carpeted hallway, a sudden tense quiet looming over them. Without Bruce and the others there, Billy could tell the mask of levity and confidence John had been wearing had come off. 

They came to a large door at the end of the hallway with the Omega symbol carved into it, and John glanced down at the kid.

The pair moved to put their hands on the door in sync, glow stretching outward from them and causing the wood to curl in on itself and allow them access. John turned on his heel, holding hand out to stop Chas before could cross the entryway. 

"Best you stay out here, mate. This magic's no joke."

Chas sighed, nodding once before the door unfurled and closed behind the pair. The room was dark, lit only by ever-present candlelight. Billy glanced around at the various artifacts and gemstones that littered the room, his chest heavy. 

"John..." he said suddenly, glancing back at the Brit, who was looking between through a shelf full of relics with a scowl on his face.

The man glanced back at him, and Billy felt a shaky breath leave his body. "I think we both know the House doesn't have anything that'll help us."

"No, no we've gotta have something in here. We- we just have to find it," John said, his frame tense as a wire.

"John..."

"Aren't you supposed to be the optimistic one out of the two of us?" John asked, turning his attention back towards the bookshelf he'd been looking through.

"I know a lost cause when I see one, John," Billy replied, taking to leaning against the side of another bookshelf. "Maybe... maybe this is just what needs to be done." John stayed quiet, his fist clenching when it went to reach for an object. 

"I mean..." Billy breathed a laugh, rubbing at the back of his neck before hugging himself loosely.

"I... I had a good run. Got a whole decade under my belt."

The boy hugged himself a little tighter. "Maybe this is just what the universe has in store for me."

John turned towards him, his jaw set. "Bullshite," he growled, eyes narrowing on the boy. "The universe doesn't dictate what you can and can't do, Billy." he came closer, kneeling down in front of the child. His eyes were soft as he met the 10-year-old's gaze. 

"I'm not lettin' you go without a fight, you got that?"

Billy was pretty sure that was the second time John had ever called him by his name.

"John, there's nothing that we have that can hold a human soul. The only artifacts that exist that can do that are- are things like the helmet of Fate."