Chapter 8

"I'm not done with you yet."

- - -

Bruce revved the engine of the Batmobile before speeding out of the cave, the tires screeching as he slipped into Gotham's foggy night. 

He was tempted to pull up Billy's file and go over it again, but Alfred'swords stuck with him. 

Billy was just a kid- he had no reason to treat him like a convict. Instead, the man focused on Marvel, trying his communicator again.

No answer.

That alone sent Batman's mind into a flurry of thoughts, especially since the Captain was one of the more prompt members when it came to meetings and answering alerts. It was probably nothing- Flash missed meetings every once in a while, but he never checked up on the man in his own city.

So why was he keeping such a close eye on Captain Marvel? What made him special? Maybe it was the fact that he knew hardly anything about the man, and up until this point, had been able to find very very little on him throughout history. 

One lead that hadn't panned out was a man by the name of C.C., but since the guy died 7 years ago, he was off the table.

It was like Marvel didn't exist, and no amount of asking or prodding the demigod about his life would get him to open up. The most he knew about the man was that he lived in Fawcett city and had been working as a hero for about a year by this point.

That was it- and it wasn't enough for the Dark Knight, who had much more information on everyone else in the League.

The Batmobile hummed as he drove down the highway, lost in his own thoughts as Fawcett City came into view. It was a sharp contrast from Gotham; full of light and soft curves, a big difference to Gotham's well, gothic architecture. 

He sped up, his nerves getting the better of him as he thought about just what could be so important that Marvel might go silent for a week.

He ended up parking the batmobile in an alley and grappling up to a roof for a better view. There weren't many tall buildings in Fawcett, not really many that went about the third floor, but he was high enough that if the demigod saw him, he'd be in plain sight, but if anyone looked up, they wouldn't spot a difference in the dark night and him.

He found it strange that no one showed up after five minutes of waiting, his eyes narrowed as he looked around. Marvel would know better than to avoid him, but from what he could tell the man just wasn't here.

For the first time, Bruce started to wonder if the man was even okay- He was a powerhouse, able to take on Superman and come out the victor 50% of the time, (which is part of the reason which made not knowing who he was so frustrating) so if he was somehow out of commission, there may be something bigger going on that the League needs to know about.

He decided to wait- Gotham would hold its breath while he was away, and Fawcett almost seemed to be doing the same.

- - -

Billy stared at the closed door with a furrowed brow- did Damien just help him? He glanced at Titus, who was quickly falling asleep amongst his covers and ran over to throw a blanket over top of the dog.

He ran back to the window and climbed onto the sill, perching himself on the white mantle before turning around and reaching for the top of the window.