Chapter 12

"I think he can do magic."

- - -

Billy woke up to sunlight streaming through the windows- Alfred must have opened them he thought, opening his eyes with a small yawn. The 10-year-old found himself alone as he sat up and rubbed at his eye drowsily. Jason must have gone a while ago if the cold spot where he used to be was anything to go by.

The boy clambered off his bed and wiggled his upper half under the bed, grabbing his communicator and checking the time. He was scheduled for monitor duty in about 20 minutes, so he didn't have a lot of time to think of a way to get to the Watchtower without alerting the Waynes.

The boy pocketed his communicator before coming back out from under the bed, his head popping up over the comforter as the bedroom door creaked open. Mr. Wayne was the last person he'd been expecting, but there he was, one hand on the door handle and the other in his suit pocket. 

"Morning Billy," he said with a small, toothless smile.

Billy grinned back, climbing up onto the bed. "Morning, Mr. Wayne," he replied, tilting his head slightly. "Where's Mr. Alfred?"

"He's downstairs- I just thought I'd come up here and talk with you real quick," Mr. Wayne replied, leaning on the doorway slightly.

Billy blinked- right... Mr. Wayne was probably going to want an explanation for last night. What all had they told him? Did Jason explain? Did Mr. Wayne know that Batman was there last night!?

The billionaire cleared his throat, walking into the room and sitting down beside Billy. The boy shifted, trying to hide the slight bulge in his pocket. "What- um, what did you wanna talk about?" he asked nervously, to which the older man raised an eyebrow with a small grin.

"I'm sure you're smart enough to figure that out, Billy."

Billy's shoulders drooped. "Right..." he mumbled, rubbing at his neck. "Mr. Wayne, I-" The billionaire held up his hand to stop the boy from saying anything further.

"It's alright, Billy. I don't want to know why you ran off," Bruce said, meeting the boy's confused eyes. "We all have our own reasons for doing things, and I know that it must be tough for you to be in such a new place. I don't mind you needing some space, but you need to make sure that you tell us where you go."

The boy nodded, lowering his head slightly.

"I'll make sure that Alfred schedules in some...alone time...for you today, alright?" Bruce continued. Wait, what did they have planned for him to do? He really needed to get to monitor duty!

"Now come on, Dick wants to check on you. He's been worried sick all night," Bruce said, standing up. Billy tensed, rubbing his arm worriedly.

"W-well, I-"

"Come on, just let him look you over. It's better if you come to him, otherwise, he'll hunt you down and mother-hen you," Bruce said, pausing at the doorway. He furrowed his brow at the sight of Billy's nervous stature, taking note of it before turning around completely.

"Meet me downstairs in a couple of minutes, alright?" he said, hoping the boy would come down on his own.

Billy nodded as the door closed before letting out a shaky breath. Mr. Wayne was taking notice of things- he could tell by the way he watched him. The man watched Billy like he was studying him constantly like he expected him to explode at any moment or something--