Chapter 6

Dick waved him off before swooping Billy up and putting him on his shoulders. "Where's the fun in that? Come on- Let's go get Bluebird some clothes." Billy couldn't help the small grin on his face as Dick carried him out of the bedroom and started making his way down the stairs.

- - -

Billy, Dick, and Alfred loaded into the car Alfred had driven when he first picked him up and they set off away from the mansion. Billy sat beside Dick in the backseat, looking at the cityscape of Gotham as they drove.

It wasn't often that he got to see Gotham, what with Batman's 'no metas' rule, and it was honestly not as dark as he'd been expecting. Then again, Billy had been expecting a perpetual night or constant overcast, but the day was only slightly cloudy, and sure, the buildings cast long shadows, the place was nothing like how some of his old street friends described it.

In fact- Billy thought he could learn to like the place. Well- if he didn't find a way to get back to Fawcett, that is. He'd have to remember to thank Victor for not only covering for him at today's meeting but for keeping an eye on his city for him. There was no telling when he'd get a moment to himself if all this chaperoning continued.

Billy didn't notice that the car had stopped until Dick nudged his shoulder with a grin. "Come on, Bluebird, this place is great," he said, climbing out his side of the car. Billy followed suit, looking up at the high-end mall in front of him. It almost looked like a palace- massive, white, and with huge entrances.

He glanced at Dick's hand as he slipped it into his and gave him a reassuring squeeze, a small smile appearing on his face before they started towards the massive building.

They ended up in some high-end children's clothing store, a place where Billy had to stand on a pedestal while an old guy measured him. It was awkward and weird, and Dick was giving him a pitying look the whole time.

"Come on, Alfie, Billy doesn't need specially tailored stuff," he tried, only getting a look from the butler.

"A single pair of suits is quite necessary, Master Dick, especially for the press conferences to come," he replied, turning his attention back towards the 10-year-old- who honestly, felt like he was being tortured. 

The old man measuring him held a tape measure from his armpit to his waist before marking the final measurement down on a clipboard.

"There we go, mon petit, we are finished and you may step down," he said, straightening with a soft smile. Billy smiled back at him, rubbing his nose as he glanced at the man's thick white mustache before looking back at Alfred and Dick. 

"Mon amie, if you would come this way, we can speak about the payment," the man continued, turning his attention to Alfred now.

Alfred left with him towards the counter and Dick managed to scoop Billy up and set him on his shoulders- something the kid suspected Dick wouldn't stop anytime soon. He simply smiled and rest his chest in the man's fluffy black hair as they left the store to wait outside.

The inside of the mall was like a neighborhood almost- there was a large fountain and potted trees all over the place, not to mention the skyline that let in light. Across the way from the fancy place they were in was what looked like a comic shop, a place that Dick smiled at before walking towards it.

"Shouldn't we wait for Mr. Alfred?" Billy asked, glancing back at the pair of old men chatting at the counter.

"Nah- him and Alexandre are old friends. They'll start up a conversation and be there for a hot minute," Dick replied, ducking slightly so that Billy wouldn't hit his head before grabbing him and setting him back down on the ground.