Chapter 39

- - -

Then...everything went black.

- - -

Billy opened his eyes.

He blinked, looking around groggily. He was surrounded by darkness, floating in an endless void, suspended like in water. His head felt fuzzy and light, his movements slow. 

It felt like he'd just woken up from a very long nap- he rubbed at an eye.

Wait.

This- this didn't make any sense. He wasn't- he wasn't supposed to be anywhere anymore.

What was this place?

It was cold. He saw his breath curl from his mouth, spiraling outward before dissipating. Was this... was this what nonexistence felt like? 

It didn't make sense. 

He was aware, he was still breathing, he could feel the cold nipping at him.

Billy felt a familiar warmth press against his back, skin touching his as the hem of his shirt was tightly grabbed. 

The boy furrowed his brow and moved to look back, only to find Jason folding on tightly to him with one arm, the other still on his stomach. 

Billy's eyes widened in confusion- how- how was Jason here? What was going on? His brother was almost glowing, a soft light terminating from his figure as he held onto Billy's shirt.

"I'm not lettin' you go that easily, Billy," Jason said shakily, his voice echoing through the void.

Billy stared at the man, eyes wide. He couldn't be real. His gaze flicked to the open wind on his stomach, still drenching his uniform in blood. It made his stomach turn.

The 10-year-old felt another hand touch his shoulder. He glanced to his side, finding a softly glowing Damien gripping him tightly and glaring at him. 

"YYeah- you're not allowed to leave just yet, Batson. I said I wasn't through with you, and I meant it," he growled, glaring daggers into him.

Billy felt tears prick in the corners of his eyes, his breath hitching at the sight of them. He must have been losing it, there was no way he was- this- this couldn't-- 

This had to be some last-ditch attempt by his head to put him at peace...right?

This couldn't be real.

Another warm hand on his shoulder. He glanced at it, finding Dick holding onto him. He shook his head with a watery smile. 

"Not yet, Bluebird." his voice cracked, unshed tears shining in his eyes. His mask was held tightly in one hand, the other gripping Billy's shoulder tightly.

Something moved out of the corner of his eye, and he found Tim grabbing onto his much smaller hand, sliding his palm into Billy's. 

"We still need you here, kid."

The boy's breath hitched again. He shut his eyes tightly, tears rolling down his cheeks before he felt himself suddenly enveloped in a hug from the back, the solid form behind him overwhelming all others. 

He glanced up to find Bruce gripping him tightly, his cowl down and face crumpled. The man was silent, but he didn't need to speak. Billy had worked with him for long enough to know what he could say without words.