Chapter 33

- - -

"Alright- then let's move out."

- - -

Captain marvel touched down outside the warehouse, setting John, who he'd been carrying by the collar of his trenchcoat, down beside him. The man grumbled to himself and straighten out his tan coat before the pair ducked down behind some large metal shipping containers.

"Right then- judgin' by how quiet it is, I'm guessin' they haven't started yet," John said, peering around the corner of the container. "I got a plan."

"Wait, really?" Cap asked, tilting his head slightly. Why hadn't he brought this up before?

"Yeah- you power down and wander in there to distract them. Meanwhile, I'll shut down whatever it is that they got goin' on," he said with a smirk, getting a confused look from the demigod.

"W-wait, what? That can't possibly be your plan," Cap said, furrowing his brow. Sure, John wasn't really known for his thought-out plans, he was more of a move by the seat of your pants kind of guy, but still this- this was just off. "John, this is bigger than some artifact heist or something. We gotta think this through. Morgaine isn't a joke."

John raised an unimpressed eyebrow. "You don' trust me now?"

"What? No, John, of course, I trust you. I just- I don't think this is a good idea."

"I know what I'm doin' kid."

Captain Marvel sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. He still wasn't sure if Batman would even show up, if he showed up there as Billy and Cap was nowhere to be found, what would he think? Not to mention he really didn't like the thought of being at the mercy of someone like Morgaine.

"John, are you sure this is the best plan of action?" he asked, looking towards his mentor. 

The man's collar had been popped, confusing him slightly. Was he doing that to blend in or something? There was nobody else here. He shook the thoughts from his head as John actually glared at him.

"Yes. For once, will you just listen to me and do as I say?" he growled, obviously annoyed. Cap rubbed the back of his head- he must have really got on the magician's nerves.

"Okay. Okay, we'll- we'll go with your plan."

John's expression shifted- he smirked. "Good. Now go," he said before snaking around the other corner of the shipping container.

Cap sighed, glancing up at the overcast sky. The sun was setting on the horizon to his right, not that you could see it through the clouds that clogged the air. The smell of ozone permeated around him, and he took a breath before shutting his eyes tightly.

He wasn't sure about this, but he trusted John. He'd cover for him. John wouldn't let something bad happen...

...right?

"Shazam."

Lightning came crashing down, slamming into him and stripping him of his godly form. Billy stammered slightly, shaking off the dust and slight dizziness that came with every transformation. Smoke clung to his shoulders, but he ignored the curling gray trails in favor of setting to work.

It was just his luck that his magical bolt was the hairpin to pull the rain from the sky loose. His hair was stuck to his head in seconds as fat raindrops fell from the sky.