~Chapter Seven~

not edited

I slowly nibbled on my toast as the conversation droned between the brothers. Dorian sat directly in front of me sporting a black eyes and a bruised jaw avoiding my gaze. I feared that his wounds had something to do with what happened last night. I hoped that it had nothing to do with that because then it would just drive him away further and that was the last thing I wanted.

I nudged Zane a little as I asked, "Is he okay?" gesturing to Dorian. My voice was barely above a whisper as I didn't want Dorian to hear.

"Well depends on how you mean," he replied, "Physically, he's just fine but his ego's well beyond 'just bruised'," He snickered at the end and I let out a breathy chuckle at his words. After everything these brothers went through, they still had that pure bond. Nothing came between and I just wished to experience it at least once, even if it all ends up being some elaborate lie.

"Zane," Octavian's sharp voice cuts through any conversation me and Zane or Zion and Dorian were having. Every pair of eyes in the room directed their way towards him as he continued, "Did Maria come in early today?" He asked. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I looked at all of them who were now looking at Zane for an answer.

"I don't know, I slept in today but I guess I get what you mean," He replied.

"W-what do you mean?" I asked in a timid voice looking at Zane instead of Octavian.

"Oh Maria is the one who tidies up our rooms regularly, she usually comes around 11 but our rooms are already cleaned today, so yeah, we were just discussing if she came early," Zane explained.

"Oh y'all are talking about the rooms," I muttered as realization struck me, "I cleaned them," I said with a little smile as look back at my plate proud of myself.

"Why?" Zion asked, his voice a bit louder.

"Attention seeker," Dorian mumbles, shaking his head as he stabs his pancakes with his fork. I looked away from him as my chest constricted. I don't know what to do anymore. I have been trying. Doing everything they asked me to do and going out of my way to help them. That's the only way I know how to mend relationships and help others. But it isn't working here. I swiftly blink back tears as I look at Zion.

"Dorian," Octavian snaps, "Do we need a repeat of yesterday night?" He asked, his voice cold and sharp. My head whips back to Octavian as I look at him with wide eyes. Dorian was glaring at his plate at Octavian's threat but he did manage to grit out a 'no,'

"Then I suggest you watch your mouth," Octavian gritted out. I watched them have the conversation in distress. It's been a day, one day since I've arrived and I've already caused a fight between two of my brothers. 

"Now, Astria," Octavian turned his attention towards me and I tensed, clearing my face of any other emotion. "Why did you clean our rooms, you know that you didn't have to, right?" He asked, his voice a lot softer now. The twins looked at me in anticipation as did Octavian.

Is this some kind of trap? Are they going to punish me if I agreed with them?

I took a few deep breaths. Mom had already tried this trick a few time and I have learnt my lesson. I'm not sure if mom asked them to do this but I'm not going to destroy this. I'm not.

"Of course I had to, you told me to," I replied as I fiddled with the end of my hoodie. In an instant all eyes turned towards Octavian. The twins opened their mouth to say something but one look from Octavian shut them up.

My eyes widened as I realized what this is supposed to mean. Are they really playing dumb so that I confess before find out and they punish me.

"Look, if this is about the time thing I'm sorry. I didn't know what time you guys woke up. I don't know how it happened, but I assure you it won't happen again. I can wake up at five four even if you want. You don't have-"